Thread: The Tunnels- finished map of the underground passages on Greybeard Island.

Map The Tunnels- finished map of the underground passages on Greybeard Island.

This is the tunnel system beneath the mountain that one must pass though on their way to the buried treasure. DO NOT take the false paths. Choose the "second left". My maps are true hand drawn maps, no computer assistance. Seems like there should be a definite distinction on this site between truly hand drawn maps and computer aided mapping.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the tunnels.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	62920  

Guild Adept Facebook Connected EricPoehlsen's Avatar

I like your map - concerning the distinction between 'hand-drawn-maps' and 'computer-generated-maps' - I do not care what tools are used for creating maps. Some prefer traditional tools: pencil and paper, inks and watercolors; others go for electronic tools, ranging from paint to photoshop to ARCGIS.

My teacher in photography class always said: A good photographer can create art with a cheap camera and a bad photographer will make bad pictures with a high-end SLR camera and expensive lenses. Of course the good photographer probably will make better art with better tools.

Same goes for cartography as for any other art. Better pencils will make nicer maps, photoshop is probably a better tool than paint - but check youtube 'ms paint art' to see what skilled artists may accomplish with the limited capabilities of a simple canvas tool and google 'photoshop disaster' to find examples of bad work created with the top tool.

A good map is not defined by the tools used, but by the craftmanship of the artist, knowing which tools to harness for creating the map he or she envisions.
    Last edited by EricPoehlsen; 04-03-2014 at 03:42 PM.

Thank you. I do see your point about utilizing available tools to make the best product possible. It's just that the computer aided maps are so beautifully and perfectly rendered, a perfect vision of the artists conception, that us "hand drawn" cartographers are at a disadvantage when it comes to challenges. Maybe a handicap factor could be applied to hand drawn maps. LOL. Maybe it doesn't matter to the voters. Just having fun here.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected EricPoehlsen's Avatar

Check again, many entries in the challenges are hand drawn and regulary among the top votes ...
    Last edited by EricPoehlsen; 04-04-2014 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maker of the Way View Post
    It's just that the computer aided maps are so beautifully and perfectly rendered, a perfect vision of the artists conception
    meng, if only that were true. what's in my head is always better than the PSD file. it's all mastery of craft, regardless of medium.
    >>< drow ><<

I'm looking forward to getting the isometeric graph paper I ordered so I can do more hand drawn elements, though for me I do like to finish my work digitally. I agree EricPoehlsen about the number of high ranked challenge entries that are entirely, or mostly hand drawn. I've voted for some of them myself. I find line heavy work such as buildings are worse for me digitally than hand drawn. Try entering some of the challenges and I think you'll find that the critiques you get will improve whatever style you use and you're not likely to get anyone telling you "this would be better if you did it digitally". But you will need to change your work process in all likelihood to accommodate making more changes unless you feel like redrawing and coloring an entire map each time.

For this current map I really like the space you've left around the important elements to help them stand out. You've included a lot of fun elements and I like how the whole thing lends itself to developing a narrative.

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected
    Toamasina, Toamasina, Madagascar, Madagascar

I think it's awesome. As for hand drawn vs digital, to each their own, and the more choices the better. I think for me at least, that maps are like movies, or music, variety is cool.

As for your map, I like it, colors are nice, I like how you added art to each area to represent that particular area. Your map has a lot of character, a style to it. It's good stuff and makes me want to explore it. Just not the scary part with the black water and tentacles.

Thanks much madcowchef and Rand. Funny you should mention the narrative the piece evokes. So many backstory ideas begin forming while doing these, I could fill a novel. Especially with my Graybeard Island map. And Rand, hearing that it makes you want to explore it is exactly what I'm going for. Excellent,Thank you. I want to make them fun, interesting, a bit mysterious, and as you said, make you want to explore this place.
    Last edited by Maker of the Way; 04-06-2014 at 04:07 AM. Reason: misspelling