Thread: Hi Everyone

Default Hi Everyone

Hello!

I've just discovered the cartograher'guild and am very happy to have joined.

There's a bit of a tale in how it is that I found my way here.

I write fiction for a hobby. Well, I call it a hobby I dont write that often, and when I do I rarely sell what I write. So I prefer to consider it a hobby capable of generating a windfall every now and then rather than a profession!

In either case, fantasy fiction has always been a passion of mine, although strangely to date I've never had the opportunity to write any! Historical Fiction, crime, a touch of horror, but I've never written fantasy fiction. Until now that is. I recently started a project, I'm not sure if its a novel, TV or film at this point but its set in the big bad capital of a fantasy world. To help flesh out the setting I turned to roleplaying and used roll20 to post a campaign and attract players - which I managed to do.

Which finally brings me onto the maps. I have two maps I need to create. The world map and the city map. My current versions are the rudest of sketches that wouldn't even be accepted on amateur night. So there I was looking for guidance, examples etc, and I came across this community. Thank god you exist because I'd like to put something together that's at a good standard, and without this community and the tutorials produced by its members, (some of which led me to this site), I doubt very much I'd have hope in hell!

Once again. Thanks for having me.
    Last edited by RaviB; 04-06-2014 at 10:40 AM.

Welcome to the Guild! I'm sure with a bit of help from the wonderful cartographers here you will be able to create a fantasy map worthy of the world you are creating.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino44 View Post
    Welcome to the Guild! I'm sure with a bit of help from the wonderful cartographers here you will be able to create a fantasy map worthy of the world you are creating.
    Thank you. I began by watching Jonathan Roberts' excellent tutorial on drawing mountains. I learned a few things there. But the first problem I've encountered is I'm drawing a city surrounded by plateaus with cliffs. Which I guess require a different technique. I'll searching this site for tips and good examples!

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JefBT's Avatar

Welcome. Nice, I also began by Jonathan Roberts' tutorials, but the forest one.

Take a look into the tutorials section. It helped me a lot since I joined.

Quote Originally Posted by JefBT View Post
    Welcome. Nice, I also began by Jonathan Roberts' tutorials, but the forest one.

Take a look into the tutorials section. It helped me a lot since I joined.
    Will do. Thanks!

Welcome to the Guild RaviB! I wish you all the best in your project. You have certainly come to the right place to learn how to create fantasy maps. As others have mentioned there are many helpful tutorials here on the topic. Let us know if you have any questions and please be sure to post up some pics of any WIP map you are working on.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh