Thread: West Lands of Feldarä - Looking for advice

Question West Lands of Feldarä - Looking for advice

Hello cartographers,

Long time since I found this great forum, but these are my first post and my first map. It took me some time to find the right technique, and well, this is the result.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	feldaraunf.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	63022

These lands are in a temperate climate zone, with abundant flora, and yet almost uninhabited. But before naming cities, kingdoms, mountains and rivers, I would like to know your opinion. Is there anything I can do to improve the look of the map? Are rivers flowing in the right way? Are too many? Where should be human settlements? What font or colors should I use?

Thanks for your time.

Great start. The very low detail coasts don't match up very well with the higher detail of the river and forest to my eye. Your mountains are pretty, but the high level or repetition of them seems more appropriate to a more symbol based map, if you can add more variety it would help break that up a bit. Your color scheme and oceans are both really good looking. Your river basins all look good to my relatively untrained eye and form nice pretty fans. I like the over all look so far, keep up the good work.

I agree with everything madcowchef said.

Also, I'd argue that the lake in the north-west with two rivers feeding into it should empty into the sea nearby, unless there's a reason for it not to!

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JefBT's Avatar

I love your shore style, but as Madcowchef and Raptori said, this style don't match with the mountains and forests.

I am still learning the ways of the rivers, but I can see that the lakes you drew are very unlikely to happen, as Raptori said before me. If you surround the lakes with some hills or mountains, they can fit well there.

Try to make some hard-edge mountain, like you did with the shore. You'll probably get a wonderful map with that.

Font is up to you, chose one you like that can be easily read.
    Color I may suggest a very dark brown, with some light-brown surrounding it. But you can use any combination that you want, that make some contrast with the land.

Human settlements are likely to happen alongside rivers shores, or lakes. Places where you can easily get water and food. Maybe some plain areas for the agriculture, forests to gather wood and, If is there some kind of commerce, there will be some towns near the sea, and between other cities, in some place that could exist a road. Roads follow the easiest way, not the shortest, as I've learned with RobA, it's easier to build a road surrounding a forest, than going inside of it.

That's what I can say for now, hope this helps you. Keep going.