Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First-ever map.

Wip First-ever map.

New to cartographers. First map started as a sketch, then brought into photoshop.

I think I bit off more than I could chew with this pangea world. Started well, now running into problems.

Problems and waverings now include; perspective, icons (symbolic) vs. real (representative) style, black lines (inking) over the color, how to draw forests, cities as dots, topography overall (I only placed mountains but didn't really think through the rest of the topography), etc...

The upper right area of the map is the most finished. Tried two types of forests. Neither are really working well for me. I inked over the mountains in that area. Not sure how well that's working compared the non-inked mountains.

Love to hear your thoughts. I'm thinking of bailing on this big map now, or maybe taking a few steps, mate big steps, back to rethink a few things before proceeding.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FirstMap_WIP.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	3.99 MB 
ID:	63047

p.s. Apologies if my forum etiquette is lacking. First original post. Is there a size limit to the size of files uploaded to the forum?

Guild Member

Really beautiful work for a first piece if you ask me.

I think the lines work well for the forest, but are unnecessary on the mountains.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JefBT's Avatar

Amazing! The mountains are dazzling, and the northeast forest is just wonderful.

I'm not from the river police, but as far as I know, the rivers are just perfect.

I just didn't understand what are the dark places (south in the bigger island, norht and south in the other big island). Is that some kind of marsh? Deadland?

Anyway, good first map!

This is a truly fantastic map, especially for your first one!

I agree with Pineapple about the lines on the forest but not on the mountains. I really love the mountain range in the middle of the land. The more northern forest (if up is north) I think looks really good, I like that one better then the southern one. I don't think the icons you have on this map are bad but I am kind of wanting a real perspective style for this map, but that's just my opinion.

This already looks so great I really looking forward to seeing your progress.

Nice job! The colors are very good and the mountains are excellent. I agree with you about the forests, but the lower one seems to be a good start.

I think you're off to a great start. It reminds me of THIS MAP. Maybe it will inspire you or give you some ideas on what direction you should take this map .
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Slylok View Post
    It reminds me of THIS MAP.
    Wow, that's amazing. Seeing the perspective of the cities and towns on that map is a big help! Thanks everyone for your comments, they are a huge help!

Guild Member

One other piece of feedback now that I'm looking at it a second time. I think the foothills need higher opacity. They kind of fade right into the surrounding terrain, but instead of suggesting foothills they just kind of look like faded mountains in a way that's a little awkward.

Still, the mountains are beautifully painted.

Yes, I completely agree. I spent most of the time on this map on the mountains, then ran into trouble when getting to the foothills bc I was unsure how to paint the plains. The rivers seem far too large as I look at it now, too.

The mountains are great! (but as everyone else has said, much better without the black lines). Try using a few more textures and noise in the land , it might look good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast