Thread: Lurker de-lurking

Guild Novice

Default Lurker de-lurking

Hi everyone, I'm Niasis. I've been lurking since October and decided it was time to say hi and start making posts. I love the GIMP tutorials, I've been really using those the last few days (spent 10 hours on my forests and mountains learning LOTS about GIMP the other day... boy did my body hate me afterward) to improve my map. I started a big world map in October and I'm still working on the monster. My world is Ethiedus, and my map file is getting so big GIMP keeps crashing due to lack of memory!! This is what I get for making a really huge map with hundreds of layers (mostly text layers, but still, I'm nearly up to 200...) but oh well. I haven't got the courage to post it yet, mostly because I'm in the middle of revising my lakes and rivers, but it's gotten leaps and bounds better since I started using tutorials from this site. Rivers are so freaking hard though! I'm a little wishy-washy on my elevations, which is where my problem is coming from I think, and the rivers and lakes I had before are really good only for placeholders now. Anyway, that's my story.

Welcome to the Guild! I have often had trouble with rivers as well so you are far from alone in that area!

Welcome to the Guild Niasis! Glad to here you are finding the tutorials here helpful. I understand the hesitancy to display your early work but one thing to keep in mind is that by doing so you are inviting others to offer you tips and advice that could help you to learn the craft more quickly. All the best.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh