Thread: Any problems?

Default Any problems?

This is one of my conworld's continents. Any critique would be great; tell me if anything screams "IMPLAUSIBLE!"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1397016957605.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	129.8 KB 
ID:	63065

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1397017016751.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	63066
    Note: Yes, these are pictures I took of a screen displaying my maps, so the quality isn't great. I will update with the actual images as soon as possible.

Your rivers disturb me. http://www.cartographersguild.com/tu...ght-place.html may be helpful.

Note 2: I don't have any fancy resources for map making; my sister has commandeered my computer for almost two years now to do online college courses (and she lives on her own, so I have no access to said computer). These maps were painted manually in a little drawing program for the 3DS... So I think I did pretty well with what I had...

My rivers and just about everything in this map slightly annoy me. It took so long to make them that I don't want to accept it lol. I like the continent shape at least

I also think you did pretty well. It's where the rivers are located that disturbs me, not how they are drawn on the map. Your rivers show a common problem with beginning mapmakers: you understand that rivers branch, but the branching is backwards. As someone here at the guild has pointed out (exactly who slips my mind at the moment), a river is like a tree with its trunk planted in the ocean and its branches holding up the mountains. The link I provided goes into great detail on river layout.

Other than the rivers, things look plausible at a quick look.

Default Re: Any problems?

Your link was very helpful, thanks! I dove into cartography with no prior study of geology (I just began to look into it today). The placement of my rivers was my best attempt at amending this nightmare:

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1397020878997.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	63068
    I wanted to change as little as possible, but I guess it's inevitable.