Thread: [WIP] The Barony of Stonewall

Wip [WIP] The Barony of Stonewall

I'm super new to mapping. This is like the second map - if you count following a Joe Sweeney tutorial as a map - I've made with Campaign Cartographer. The idea is to use it to help keep the lay of the land in mine for a story I'm working on, but I'd also like it to look as nice as possible.

Any feed back would be appreciated. Just keep in mind I'm a beginner so may not understand all of it.

Also, is there a way to make the bevel only apply on the water edge and not around the outside of the map?

Also also my first post here, so sorry if I missed something required. May have read the wrong faq and thought it was for here >_>

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stonewall.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	81665

I like the cartoony style of this map (: I suppose the right side of the map is not as it's supposed to be, but that should be easy to fix.

I am not familiar with Campaign Cartographer, but you could try and expand the land layer beyond the border of the map so the bevel is covered by the border. You could also make the bevel a separate layer and then erase it around the edges. Again, I don't know if these action are possible in Campaign Cartographer, so I don't know if that helps

-Dan

Ferrol, Coruña, Spain, Earth, Solar System

I agree with Daniel... I really like the cartoonish look, but maybe (and I am say this without any knowledge about CC, so forgive me if I am saying a fooliness) you can export the different layers (color, shadows, lineart) separated and try to give a more rough look to the lineart in GIMP or Photoshop. In this way the map would look more "medieval".

-Antonio

Thanks. Even if they're not in CC3, I can always learn more software to make it work.

What do you mean by a rougher look? More blurred? Just less clean lines?

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Hi Delahunt. Try making a new sheet for your water, something like "SEA BEVEL EDGE" and then put the water on that sheet. Once you do that, turn on your sheets and effects, go into the SEA BEVEL EDGE sheet and add your bevel to it. Then if you don't want a beveled edge of your map, go into the sheet that your map edge is on and remove the beveled edge from that sheet. I'm not sure how familiar with cc3 you are yet so I hope this didn't sound too complicated.

By the way, I like your map. That is one of my favorite styles.