Thread: Island Kingdom WIP

Wip Island Kingdom WIP

Hi,

I'm new to mapping digitally, used to hand draw maps years ago for gaming, and have been playing around with different techniques to create them. Lots of great tutorials on this site and I've found some useful info on YouTube as well.

I'm going to try and post pictures of the map I'm currently working on, hope I can get it to work. I'm using an old copy of Photoshop Elements (version 9) and I think I'm getting some decent results. I have been trying different filter combos for terrain like mountains (I'm not set on any particular style) and I hope some of you experts can give advice and what is working and what is not.

I'm open to critique as I feel it's a good way to learn. I have a thick skin so let me have it

I am not completely set on names or locations yet. This is a map to practice on, not for any particular use. And I plan on trying different styles for different maps.

I think I got the pictures to attach so basically it is the same island but I used different techniques for the mountains (not going for photorealism, if you couldn't tell ).

Any comments welcome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Island v1.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	512.5 KB 
ID:	80528 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Island v2.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	505.9 KB 
ID:	80529

After completing the Feb/Mar 2016 Lite Challenge I decided to go back to one of my practice maps that I posted when I first became a member last month. I redid the map itself, adding more smaller islands. And I decided to take a different approach of more of a hand drawn Isometric map instead of a top down more Atlas style map (although I was trying different techniques I had available in PS Elements to see what results I got).

Anyway, below is my latest WIP, although it's not much to look at.

Wanted to get input on my mountains (northern part of the main Island). I started drawing in the mountain ranges and kind of shifted styles (again, this map isn't for any particular use) from west to east, and started to do some shading. Figured I would see if I could get some opinions before I go too far incase I am doing something way wrong.

Thanks for any suggestions and advice.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Island Kingdom.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	81494

I really like the mountain ranges - keep going with this.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks. I did change the style of mountains (the mountains on the east end of the range individually drawn and the ones on the west, including the ones I shaded, as ridge lines) and I will try working with both and see what I prefer.

Those mountains you're working on look fabulous!! Keep it up, I think this is going to turn out great.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Thanks so much. I will keep working on them and maybe post an update when I finish the mountains. May be a few days though, got to go to work some time.

Off to a very good start! Those mountains are indeed very promising.

The mountains look great so far. Not sure how the individual mountains would look when shaded, but so far my preference goed the ones with ridgelines.

-Dan

Ferrol, Coruña, Spain, Earth, Solar System

Yes, the color painted mountains look awesome!!