Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Campaign Area Map, first effort.

Guild Novice

Wip Campaign Area Map, first effort.

After watching the zombie-nirvana tuts on youtube and poking around here a bit yesterday I started working on my first map not directly following a tut.

I'm looking for some good tower/castle iso's or icons to use for this, but am also considering working on some of my own.

any thoughts, comments, criticisms, etc very much welcome

Praise

I like it, my only comment is that mountains are not normally stacked on the coast, they are normally in the center of islands or in ridge lines if volcanic.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Natzapo View Post
    I'm looking for some good tower/castle iso's or icons to use for this, but am also considering working on some of my own.
    If you can't find any here I would suggest trying the Dunjinni forums, lots of free user-created art there.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

hmm, yeah, the mountain placement is a little odd .. (Think I could beg off with "A wizard did it"?) Oh well, this is more a practice map than anything else ..

Once I'm done with this area I'll move on to the main continent, or another map and aim for something a bit more geologically correct

At any rate, heres where I am now, same bit as before, any comment, compliments or criticisms are more than welcome.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The reds are a little jarring but no biggie to me, the overall color scheme is quite nice. The trees and mountains are a little too "grouped" but again no real biggie to me and you've already addressed that. The river's a bit thick but so am I sometimes All in all, it's pretty nice and I like it so good job. I especially like the islands.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice

Had some time tonight to do some more work on it... I wouldn't say its completely done, as there's still room for improvement, but Its a workable version for me to hand out to my group on saturday ^_^ same as before, comments etc are more than welcome.

Looks good. I notice the Mage who lives in the north is pretty anti-social. The southern two may live in the boonies, but at least they maintain roads to their towers. Hope the game goes well!

Nice. Color sheme is nice and the little island on the sides are fun

By the way, were did you find your icons? I think I reconise the city red-one but the other ... ho, and your montain and forest are really cool (I who cannot make good one is always amazed by it ).
    Hinaloth F. Lester, at your service.

Back, with even more mapping!

Nice looking map overall. However, I think that the towers are a bit large when compared with the other symbols.

Guild Novice

Thanks. Yeah, the Northern Tower is pretty isolated

The icons could prolly be scaled down a little, but too much past there and they start to distort fairly badly.

Erm, I got the town icons from Perfect's post here: Towns

The towers came from... well .. I could have sworn they were from this site >.< I'll post the link as soon as I figure out where I got it.. it was a part of a pack of tower images, I just desaturated it, recoloured and emphasized the outline.

The trees are more or less the same as the ones from ZombieNirvana on youtube, though I did them rather sloppily on this map... also skipped the trunk step as it didn't really seem appropriate.

The mountains are from hapimeses tutorial, and are incredibly easy to do, while looking very nice IMHO. Mountain Tut

Thats about it, for the moment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast