Thread: First Computer Map

Map First Computer Map

This is my first attempt at translating my hand drawn maps into something pretty. I used Campaign Cartographer and Paintshop. It's by no means done, but I figured I would share what I had so far and see what people think.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kerila Map.png 
Views:	106 
Size:	842.0 KB 
ID:	63136

Blog Entries

You have river issues: A big river popping out of nowhere without any tributaries and a river system that seems to be backwards, flowing toward the mountains (either that or it again, pops out of nowhere as fairly large, and then splits into smaller rivers that go off in different directions.)

Ornate script typefaces make horrible labels, try to keep typefaces reasonably consistent across labels and go for clear, simple typefaces. Simply rotating labels also doesn't look very good, you should either stick with horizontal, or curve them and it's best to be consistent about which you choose for any particular kind of feature. Multi-line labels are also best avoided if you can manage it.

Thanks for the feedback. I understand what you mean about the rivers. I'm still playing around with how to work CC, and I hadn't fully worked out the river systems or how to adjust river sizes in CC. I'll keep working on it.

Thanks again.

Aside from the river issues Hai-Etlik mentioned, this is a great map for a first attempt. The terrain agrees pretty well with what I would expect from a landscape at this scale.
    I also like that it doesn't appear to be a map of anything in particular; nearly all the maps on this site expressly state which regions they depict. But this one doesn't, and I find that refreshing.
    The only glaring issue is the text. The large labels are all but unreadable; the smaller ones are only legible when they are over nondescript grassland. As mentioned above, the more detailed a font is, the worse it looks as map labels. I recommend you produce the image in CC/Paintshop, and then use a vector application to overlay the text (which will allow you to curve it and change the font however you like).