Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: April 2014 Entry - The Abyssal Colonies

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Default April 2014 Entry - The Abyssal Colonies

I should be working now… but nah. I'll map hell instead. Just a little.
    My idea is a bit unrefined so far, but basically, I'm planning a map in something like this style (brought to my attention by Vorro), as if someone living in the now independent state of Hell, in the 1960s, drew a map of the colonial period when the underworld was invaded by colonial powers who couldn't find more land to conquer in the regular world. You know, when there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk on Earth… but the other way around. And steampunk and stuff. And a style I haven't tried, which is usually fun. Here's the first step; coastlines, rivers and sketched mountains. The coloring is completely temporary, just to make it a little easier to see what's going on… which may have been pretty futile…

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	helvete.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	258.2 KB 
ID:	63146

that is such a cool land shape! A nice idea as well.

Thanks! Here's a small update with more detailed mountains, and a new color test where darker color indicates lower land instead of the opposite, as in the style example. I think I like it better, it will give really strong contrast where the land meets water, and it also feels more intuitive to me that the lower areas are sort of shaded…

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Helvete2.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	496.4 KB 
ID:	63154

And the color mock-up:

Name:	Helvete2b.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	63155

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Great idea here! And a good shape too. Its interesting to see how you try new things.

Thank you! Trying new things is a lot of fun, in my opinion! It doesn't always turn out very good, but at least I enjoyed finding that out!
    This one will have to turn out pretty fantastic if I'm going to have a chance in this challenge though… There are some really amazing entries! And I haven't even come farther than a colored sea and some paint on the height lines.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	helvete3.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	361.2 KB 
ID:	63240

The shape of the land is very original and "in motion". I love your sea, but it has something a bit "angelic" to me
    Anyway, I'm very curious to see it done with those numerous mountains!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    The shape of the land is very original and "in motion". I love your sea, but it has something a bit "angelic" to me
    Anyway, I'm very curious to see it done with those numerous mountains!
    Interesting, I was thinking tumultuous. Reminds me of a swirling storm of some kind. Very original like Ilanthar said.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks Ilanthar and Arsheesh! Interesting to hear your associations!
    Hopefully this will look less angelic
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	helvete4.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	646.8 KB 
ID:	63381

I think I have abandoned the idea of a steampunk colonial era… It will probably show the "current" state of Hell instead, as it looked when the map was "drawn", sometime in the sixties. The colonial powers are still strong there though, and in this particular region the native demons are confined to the southwestern part, while the humans live primarily in the north and east. The opening to the underworld appeared somewhere in southern Russia (no idea why, just felt like that…), hence a large Eastern Europe presence. But the British of course have a little part of Hell too, because they are everywhere

The russians actually spear headed the digging of the deepest hole in the world to study the mantle of the earth. Some people believed it would end the world by causing an eruption or opening the gates of hell. The project was stopped before they got to the mantle because it got so hot that all the dirt from the earths crust kept melting and falling in on itself. I can't remember the name of the project or exactly where in russia it is, but your reason for choosing russia has some backing

And BTW its looking really awesome!
    Last edited by Slylok; 04-21-2014 at 11:42 AM.
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

By Lingon
    Hopefully this will look less angelic
    Indeed !! I knew you would do an awesome use of those mountains! Your water coloring is so inimitable and excellent! The red and yellow of the land clashes gorgeously with the white and blue of the seas now... It feels like a battle to me. And Hell is winning !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast