Thread: Working on my 3D skills, feedback please.

Post Working on my 3D skills, feedback please.

Greetings, all....

After hearing the feedback from my first post (the infamous Island of Wanakokakola), I decided to go back and work on my 3D/layering skills. I cobbled together 3 examples of where I am in that regard, and I'd appreciate some feedback concerning whether or not I'm on the right track.

The first .png is supposed to look like a coastline with a bay. Running N to S are beaches and coastal cliffs. I tried to give the bay a narrow mouth & a beachfront, and there are a few low hills.

The second is also a coastline with cliffs & beaches, with an interior forest. If you look close, you can see a gentle rise just along the treeline (I hope).

The third is a straight-forward desertscape: a central butte sitting in a flood channel with the eroded desert pavement on either side.

Soooo...if it looks like I'm in the ballpark in regards to my intent vs. the outcome, please feel free to respond here or by IM.

TYIA & TTFN

Credit where credit is due: I relied heavily on original tutorials concoted and/or compiled by RobA, Arsheesh and wisemoon. These tutorials inspired all my tweaks, mosh-ups, flashes of insight and experimentation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D 01.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	637.0 KB 
ID:	63160   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D 02.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	63161   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D 03.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	963.0 KB 
ID:	63162  
    "No matter where you go, there you are".

Buckaroo Banzai

Guild Novice

I think your edges look a little sharp, but hey, that's better than what I can do so far! I think your desertscape is fantastic.

Looks like you have the idea but need to back off a little bit on you highlights and shadows with your beveling. For the highlights if the object isn't shiny I rarely set it to screen, but instead use overlay. The masa is very promising looking.

Quote Originally Posted by madcowchef View Post
    Looks like you have the idea but need to back off a little bit on you highlights and shadows with your beveling. For the highlights if the object isn't shiny I rarely set it to screen, but instead use overlay. The masa is very promising looking.
    OK, I'm a bit baffled. I used the "layer effects" plugin (GIMP) to emboss and bevel the cliffs after using a texture fill; when you say you don't set it to screen, but use overlay, can you explain? I'm assume you're referring to the layer mode, which I left at normal for everything. I understand about the beveling: I suppose I should just choose either emboss or bevel and play with the settings.

p.s.: I played with various layer effects and modes, and I see your point: by fiddling with the effects and modes, I can keep the layers from looking so crowded.

Buckaroo Banzai

Hmm I'm on Photoshop so I am not sure how that translates, you need one of the brainy software familiar people. You can't go far wrong with just fiddling and getting acquainted with the effects you are using, changing opacity and blend modes till you get a feel for the results.

I'll have an updated version of the desert scene posted in a couple days or so; and thanks for the encouragement!!!!

Buckaroo Banzai

RJsDad Lots of potential here! Have some REP to encourage you along. The thing to remember about aerial or long distance views is that there is more distortion the further you get from an object. Color seem to blend together/ lose their saturation and sharp edges blur. Colors can sharply contrast but tones tend to blend together. If you still have these files in layers try a slight blur and soften the contrast between the highlights and shadows. They just POP too much. Looking forward to see how this comes out. I like the basic look/style a lot !
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

...will include those suggestions in 2.0 of the butte.....

Buckaroo Banzai

Guild Journeyer

Hello:
    It looks good. I will agree that the edges are too sharp and too clean.

Tracker

OK, desert butte 2.0.......

did some fiddling as suggested, and added a touch of fog/overcast.....

working on a 2.0 of the harbor image....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D 03.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	894.3 KB 
ID:	63197  

Buckaroo Banzai