Thread: Subconscious mapping?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Journeyer

Question Subconscious mapping?

Something that has come to my mind of late that I'm curious to know if anyone else is doing this.

When you create your original map do you mirror the point of view of your real world location?

So if in Europe, the sea would be on the left, with general various shapes of countries and a little island of the land mass similar to the UK . Or on East coast of the US , sea is on the right and a much larger landmass with similar distances between stuff and geographical features like Applicacian mountains in a relative position. Or take on similar features like if in Australia, your map is a large single mass. Also that continents end up occupying the same general areas as on earth? the same applies for bays and coast lines, lakes and any other details?

Fractal mapping and generators can get around this problem, but sometimes I feel I don't like the results, but it's probably because I can't relate to it. Some of it can be intentional of course, I want to kick this subconscious habit, but wondered if anyone else suffers from it or even aware if they are doing it?

cheers
    Last edited by jezelf; 08-06-2008 at 08:42 AM.