Thread: Elenril (First Time Mapper)

Wip Elenril (First Time Mapper)

Hiya folks.

I've been plotting out some stuff for NaNoWriMo this year and ended up drawing a bunch of maps for no apparent reason other than a desire to make a world. I've been working kinda from first principles, (mainly just plate tectonics, lines of latitude and rainfall distribution) but since this is largely a 'just for fun' thing I skipped using the Climate Cookbook in full because it hurt my brain.

Anyway, I ended up with this, the Glorious and Majestic World of Elenril (working title):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elenril_top.png 
Views:	102 
Size:	216.4 KB 
ID:	63130

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elenril_bio.png 
Views:	121 
Size:	229.6 KB 
ID:	63131

Actual image is probably about 3x or 4x the size; made in SAI. I'm pretty happy with it considering I just painted it like I normally would. I would've liked more archipelagos, but I screwed up my tectonic punching zones kinda.

Any thoughts? Feedback? I probably won't be going into crazy detail on the whole thing; I'm actually probably just going to really knuckle down on a region around the Circular Bay/Sea in the centre-right of the middle continent. I don't know why I'm bothering with this much detail when my story is set in a single city but whatever, I enjoyed making this.

Funny, my conlang is named "Eliendril", quite close...

That's a good start for me. I would add a coastline, a border, a texture effect and maybe latitudes/longitudes since it's a world map. Do you intend to show the mountains?

I wasn't really planning on completely finishing it, it's more of a design doc so I can map out the political entities of my world and how they'd behave, their environments etc, but I might give it some thought. What do you mean precisely by coastline though? I have the shallow water markers but not sure that's what you mean.

I have some heightmaps in the first picture and a general idea of where the mountains are, but at this scale I wasn't really thinking of going any further. In a specific region map though I might get more detailed on that front.

By Jintor
    What do you mean precisely by coastline though?
    I was thinking of a drawn line to enhance the coast, like if it was drawn by pencil or anything alike. Well, I'm not sure if I'm more clear...