Thread: Planet ST Libra from Peter F hamilton's book The great north road WIP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Planet ST Libra from Peter F hamilton's book The great north road WIP

Hello everyone, i'm a sci fi book addict and peter f hamilton is one of my favorite autors. So when i start his last book and see a map was present at the begining i couldn't resist to try another version of this map.
    So i start with that map:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140409_173855.jpg 
Views:	612 
Size:	648.6 KB 
ID:	63206
    And actually here is my WIP,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Projet_StLibra.jpg 
Views:	872 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	63207

almost finished but a few things are missing (scale, north arrow..) and i'm still not very happy with my labels, not very enthousiastic with the sci fi fonts but i tried my best!
    I also planed to insert the map into a planet view when the map is finished. If someone have advices about labeling or ways i could improve that map i would be glad to hear them

Thanks! I'm "reading" (actually listening, so there's no map) to the book right now and was looking for a map. Are you planning to do a version with the English names?

If I may offer some feedback: perhaps you should tone down the shadowing a little. As I understand it St Libra is supposed to be a vast planet, much larger than Earth, yet the shadow effects make the continents seem like relatively small islands. Perhaps that could be helped by reducing the shadows in intensity? That would make it look flatter, and therefore larger. Just a suggestion, I have no experience in map drawing myself whatsoever, so maybe I'm full of it...

Guild Artisan

The northern continent is described as a wild, humid, impenetrable jungle. So the colors should rather be bright greens and not yellows which suggest a drier, savanah like region.