Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Seldran Shire

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Map The Seldran Shire

Hey everyone,

This map is my own finished version of the June Challenge "Finish it !". Obviously, since I've drawn the basic material for it, I couldn't enter the challenge but I assume it would be cool to post my work on it. I did it like I would have made a map for a novel : black and white and all elements fit in the size constraint.

Hope you'll like it. As usual, feel free to rate, rep or run away

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Seldran Shire.jpg 
Views:	490 
Size:	608.8 KB 
ID:	65492

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Good work as usual. One thing I've been meaning to ask you: do you draw each tree individually, or are you using some kind of brush or pattern for this type of forest?

Guild Adept Facebook Connected xpian's Avatar
    Golden Gate Park Panhandle, San Francisco

Just like Diamond, I was wondering that as well. I had some theories, like: in Manga Studio you can have a brush with multiple different stamps like the various trees, in Adobe Illustrator you can have a set of symbols that you "spray" onto your document (with variations in size & attributes), and I think you can have an Image Hose in Corel Painter do something like this. Having gotten a *very* close look at these trees, I'm reasonably confident that they're not all the result of hand ink-work. Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;-)

Guild Novice

Very nice job!!

Excellent map as usual! I just admire your work on the shadings of the mountains and the little knotted creatures

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

Apparently I have to spread the rep around a bit more but consider this virtually repped!

Great stuff man!

Thanks guys! Actually I've drawn some individual trees (15 or so) then used the stamp tool to build small blocks of trees. Again, with the same tool, I built large forests with blocks already made.
    Last edited by - Max -; 07-06-2014 at 04:23 PM.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected xpian's Avatar
    Golden Gate Park Panhandle, San Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Thanks guys! Actually I've drawn some individual trees (15 or so) then used the stamp tool to build small blocks of trees. Again, with the same tool, I built large forests with blocks already made.
    And when you're stamping, you're not stamping "hollow" trees, right? They're filled with white pixels? Because you did a really good job of not having any lines show through the enclosed spaces.

Yes indeed, I draw the first individual trees with black outline and filled with white.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Thanks for sharing that tidbit Max, I've been intending to try out the symbol tools to get similar things done. I'll definitely have to try it out soon, your tree/mountain mergers are top notch.

cheers,
    Meshon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast