Thread: Jesylvania - hand drawn with oil pencil 36" x 18"

Map Jesylvania - hand drawn with oil pencil 36" x 18"

Here is the land of Jesylvania. Spanning from the "unknown Goblin Lands" in the far west (beyond the "Great Crack") to the Great East Road leading to the "Eternal Valley". Chock full of items and locations that have significant meaning to my lovely wife who the map was created for (i.e. one of her all-time favorite TV shows was Firefly- so I included "Firefly Forest" as well as the "Plateau of Serenity", the "Grand Library for her love of books, and a bat cave for her beloved bats.) These are just a few examples. She has been admiring the pieces I've been doing lately and asked for a map of her own. I was only happy to oblige.

A couple of my favorite locations include the "Lofty Dragon" mead-house, fashioned out of a retired Viking ship; the "Stone Garden", "Deadwood', and unseen, but labeled on this map, is "Riverhewn", the underground city. The "Vault of Belladoom is an example of the numerous doors and cave entrances I included, but not illustrated, that will be explored in greater depth on future maps. Also, the compass is a drawing of a necklace she made for me. The compass on the necklace really works.

This is completely hand drawn on a grocery bag (my new favorite media) using oil pencils and measures an epic 36" x 18".

What FUN!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jesylvania2.pdf  

I love this! What a great style you have. The map is oozing with personality.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I couldn't say it any better than Arsheesh did. Very lively map with great details. I also love that you drew it on a grocery bag. Way to creatively conserve. Vivat!

-Gerhard

Thanks you guys. having so much fun doing maps. I'm stunned that I never thought of drawing one before. And I never thought others shared my love of maps. So glad to have found this community. I'm amazed at the work submitted by the folks here. I have much room for growth in my craft and look forward to improving with your guys' help. AND...I may never buy art paper or canvas again. I love using grocery bags.
    btw, I hope the river police don't notice the bend on the Everun River just south of the calendar stones. lol Saw it after sealing it.

Love the style of this! Very protorenaissance as if it was made in england in the 12th century. Your background story makes it that much better. Well done sir!
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson