Thread: Simple and pain-free *Hand made* Mountain Heighmaps in Photoshop!

Tutorial Simple and pain-free *Hand made* Mountain Heighmaps in Photoshop!

**First post! YAY**

Ahem - Not sure if this method has already been explored, but I'd like to share How I make base heightmaps for future editing in 3D programs. Very useful for Terrain and environmental design and saves a ton of time as opposed to hand painting or sculpting everything from scratch.

IF THE IMAGE IS NOT SHOWING CLICKY

::EDIT::
    Here is that example quickly made in made into a map:
    http://i.pgu.me/PC+YrPdo_original.png
    Last edited by Narh; 05-14-2014 at 07:07 PM.

Good one!
    I prefer to prepare the Inner Glow on a blank layer and then paint the mountains with different brushes and brush settings on it.

A good render AND an easy technique, that's the kind of posts i like, thanks for sharing! Playing with different contours options seems usefull too, with a round one instead of the default contour it gives an hill feeling instead of mountains.
    Last edited by Francissimo; 05-16-2014 at 01:08 PM.

Hi, I'm relatively new. But I love the results of this method. When I try to create an Inner Glow, however, my whole image lights up. Have you encountered this before?

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorTerrible View Post
    Hi, I'm relatively new. But I love the results of this method. When I try to create an Inner Glow, however, my whole image lights up. Have you encountered this before?
    Sorry for thew very late reply (Several projects, and a couple birthdays the past 2-3 weeks :O ) , but it sounds like you have your shape on a non-transparent layer. I should have specifies that each shape needs its own layer to work properly. ie the Background layer < Continent shape later < Mountain shape layer.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks so much for sharing this. Repped and Rated.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Wow! that was nice. One thing I noticed in your map from the link you provided, there seems break in middle.