Thread: Logical Geographical Flowchart or tool?

Default Logical Geographical Flowchart or tool?

Hello everyone. Map making is by far my worst skill as a DM. Which really sucks. I'm building my homebrew world for a up coming campaign. Just trying to have a decent sized continent with 4 counties, and a couple of free territories. However, when working on these things I dont really have much of the scope of terrain or size I should make a country, but even more then that, how terrain interacts with one another. So I was wondering if there might be some flow chart the guild might have. Like if a desert is here, this is what could be around it, if this or this. I'm currently working with Hexographer, making each hex a 24 by 24 mile hex, to simplify travel, 1 hex is a day, or might be 2-4 days based of terrain of course. Maybe even that is too large? Either way, I'm looking for something to guide me in the ways of what terrain leads to what other terrains. It even might be to complex of a question in all reality, but I am looking for some feed back or maybe a guide?

Hello!

I'm not sure I can help with a lot of tools and links, but I can give you this:
    - to achieve charting a medieval population and its living surroundings, I make use of this!: The Welsh Piper » Medieval Demographics Online ; it is quite simple to use and you can develop upon this tools to generate terrain and cities.
    - talking about hexagon mapping make me think of Rolemaster Mapping System, which is a general and local map system dedicated to hexagon maps. According to dice-rolls and chart (Rolemaster ), you can easily draw continents borders and limits and then generate contents (taking account of surrounding features). But you should find a copy of RMS to get it.

That's all I can do for you!

Regards and have a nice time mapping!

Paul

Hello!

I'm not sure I can help with a lot of tools and links, but I can give you this:
    - to achieve charting a medieval population and its living surroundings, I make use of this!: The Welsh Piper » Medieval Demographics Online ; it is quite simple to use and you can develop upon this tools to generate terrain and cities.
    - talking about hexagon mapping make me think of Rolemaster Mapping System, which is a general and local map system dedicated to hexagon maps. According to dice-rolls and chart (Rolemaster ), you can easily draw continents borders and limits and then generate contents (taking account of surrounding features). But you should find a copy of RMS to get it.

That's all I can do for you!

Regards and have a nice time mapping!

Paul

Well, for country size you should consider that they were generally not so country like back in the day. While the Hapsburgs may have had control of most of Europe for a long time, it was in holdings of smaller sized chunks of territories. Even France, which was abnormally large for it's time, fluctuated in it's territorial control wildly. If you think of the English Islands or of Italy and then divide them up into 4 or 6 countries I'd say that is a more accurate representation. Really I'd say keep your countries small Say 200 km by 200 km as a general size baseline. Also be sure to remember city states.

As for terrain I'm sure there are tutorials here in the Tutorials/How-to section. Really the most egregious and obvious errors you can make there has to do with water flow I'd think. Also Azelor is working on a climate simplification thread here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/re...i-hope-so.html but if I were you I'd also check out climate stuff on Wikipedia and so forth as well.

Thanks for the replies, more are welcome, I will look into those resources right away.

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

In summery you want a flowcharting tool right? use creately its a online platform independent solution

I think he wanted to know if someone had already created a flowchart that he could easily follow and just make a map. Which is an interesting idea, but given that it is in regards to such a complicated subject I wonder how feasible it is. Perhaps for a very general construction one can be made.