Thread: Map for a Graphic Novel

Map Map for a Graphic Novel

Here is a map I did many months ago for a Graphic Novel, that I don't think is going to see the light of day. The client was just too difficult to work with, across all the artists involved. Originally I had been attached to be the colorist, and I'm glad that fell through. The publisher had completely unrealistic schedule expectations.

While I like the map, I had to do a lot of explaining to get things right.

The story takes place in Japan, near and in Tokyo, and involves Zombies and Samurai. There is a zombie outbreak, and the group of banished Samurai have to battle to Downtown Tokyo to save the love of one of the Samurai.

They wanted a map to show where the story takes place. But they also where just so inaccurate with their notes. They had Mount Fuji in the wrong place. Because in some of the preliminary drawings they had done, they showed the view from the village to Nuclear power plant, with Mount Fuji between them. But that's just not possible for where Fuji actually is. As you can see, it's not even on the map.

They wanted mountains north of Tokyo, because that's how they drew the city, but there are no mountains there. There aren't even mountains like it looks like on the left hand side, because that's actually just hilly lands.

If it weren't for the fact that they insisted the map be accurate, I probably would have given them everything wrong. But they were afraid of readers picking apart things that weren't right. So, they wanted wrong stuff, but also be correct.

On top of that, the guy in charge, has no clue how to talk to anyone. Everything he said comes across as slightly insulting.

And the map had to fit both a single spread (turned on it's side), or as a spread, (mindful of the gutters) since they weren't sure which way they would use it. So there ended up being what I felt were empty areas.

So enjoy! LOL.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SHOGUNRISINGMAP.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	63258
    Last edited by TimPaul; 04-18-2014 at 12:31 PM.

Omg I just need something like this one !

Quote Originally Posted by Chichoas View Post
    Omg I just need something like this one !
    I do commission work.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TimPaul View Post
    Here is a map I did many months ago for a Graphic Novel, that I don't think is going to see the light of day. The client was just too difficult to work with, across all the artists involved. Originally I had been attached to be the colorist, and I'm glad that fell through. The publisher had completely unrealistic schedule expectations.

While I like the map, I had to do a lot of explaining to get things right.

The story takes place in Japan, near and in Tokyo, and involves Zombies and Samurai. There is a zombie outbreak, and the group of banished Samurai have to battle to Downtown Tokyo to save the love of one of the Samurai.

They wanted a map to show where the story takes place. But they also where just so inaccurate with their notes. They had Mount Fuji in the wrong place. Because in some of the preliminary drawings they had done, they showed the view from the village to Nuclear power plant, with Mount Fuji between them. But that's just not possible for where Fuji actually is. As you can see, it's not even on the map.

They wanted mountains north of Tokyo, because that's how they drew the city, but there are no mountains there. There aren't even mountains like it looks like on the left hand side, because that's actually just hilly lands.

If it weren't for the fact that they insisted the map be accurate, I probably would have given them everything wrong. But they were afraid of readers picking apart things that weren't right. So, they wanted wrong stuff, but also be correct.

On top of that, the guy in charge, has no clue how to talk to anyone. Everything he said comes across as slightly insulting.

And the map had to fit both a single spread (turned on it's side), or as a spread, (mindful of the gutters) since they weren't sure which way they would use it. So there ended up being what I felt were empty areas.

So enjoy! LOL.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SHOGUNRISINGMAP.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	63258
    Sounds like a nasty commission - my condolences. I know jobs like this and this is no fun.

Yeah, and in the end, I got it easy, compared to the people having to do the actual Graphic Novel. It's still not done.