Thread: Rāzestan, The Secret World

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Wip Rāzestan, The Secret World

Years ago I had big plans for a world to roleplay/gm in. Then real life came... Now I'm finally back on track and trying to get stuff rolling. I've been doing a handful of sketches, but then ended up using a fractal map I had generated with the FT Demo. I started working on it and ended up with something like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rpg-razestan-maps-world_map-11.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	316.9 KB 
ID:	64717

But reading my way through the forums here, I was quite intimidated, but also felt I should put more effort in this, so I made a wholly new map in PS:

Name:	rpg-razestan-all-separate.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	64718 and Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rpg-razestan-all-relief.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	64719.

Please, bear in mind that this is no projection, but a plain, not to mention impossible, equidistant, equal area depiction of all my major landmasses, with their appoximate relative locations. I will later on project them on a proper globe.
    I labeled the map with idea seeds, so the names are not even close to final.

Right now, I am working on the structure of the landmasses separately, like so:

Name:	rpg-razestan-maps-continents-NE_HotWinds-v4-simple-render.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	64721.

Rāzestan is set to be slightly larger than Earth, say c. 50000km circumference, but share most physyical attributes.

I would really appreciate any ideas and feedback,
    Sam

PS: Rāz (راز) is Farsi/Persian for Secret, in case you wondered.
    PPS: Cheesiness galore, especially with the center islands, eh?

Well, lomedehl, since you are still working on land shapes and general positions in a globe, the most I can suggest for now is to not worry at all about coloring/texturing as all that will depend on the biomes and such, which means, it depends heavily on where the continent is located, as well as how is it oriented (rotation wise) and where the other land masses are.

For now, the shapes aren't bad at all but, for realism, you can have the relative sizes vary more. I mean, compare North America and Australia, or Arabia and Africa...

Also (mind that this may turn a very "dark" path), if you want to go a little more scientifically plausible on this, you can think about tectonic plates. Have you read any of the active threads where people are doing this? This one, this one, this one or this one (and, possibly, many others, no longer active, down the archive)...

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Haha! The dark path has been beckoning ever since I signed up, and I may not need much nudging! Let me see how much time I can set aside, and I may yet fall deep into the abyss of scientific plausibilty...