Thread: Trying out the Saderan style, and need some input.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Elothan's Avatar

Wip Trying out the Saderan style, and need some input.

Since it has been a long time since I mapped anything, I decided to try out some of the tuts here at the guild, and kinda liked the Saderan tutorial. The two following Images is what I produced the last two day, and spent about 2-3 hours on each, just to improve my skills.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	isleofue.png 
Views:	112 
Size:	397.0 KB 
ID:	63279
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12121qwqeqe.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	3.49 MB 
ID:	63280

Overall I am pretty pleased with the small one ( There I was more or less following the tut word by word.
    On the larger one, with the silly names, I had a bit of trouble with getting the mountains to look the way I wanted. I first went for a large mountain range look, but making a single large/high mountain made it look flat on the peaks. Is there any good tricks for making a large mountain and avoid the "flat top" issue.
    I am also re-learning Photoshop for this, so if you got any recommendations, I would appreciate if they were worded in a noob-friendly way .

-Elothan

As you, I prefer the small one. It looks pretty cool but I think you got a problem with the "too large and pixellated coastline" for the inner bays/lakes (especially near the "mysterious town").

Guild Member Facebook Connected Elothan's Avatar

Default Trying out the Saderan style, and need some input.

Thanks Ilanthar
    I see what you mean.. I think that was a result of more or less just expanding the settings from the first map, and I will probably fix that on my next try.. I think it might be a combination of the brush I used when generating the coastline and sone after effects, I dont think it should be to hard to correct thou. Still have a bit of a hard time when it comes to scaling map tutorials up a bit.