Thread: APRIL / MAY 2014 LITE CHALLENGE: Cross-Genre

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default APRIL / MAY 2014 LITE CHALLENGE: Cross-Genre

Hello again, everybody!

For this month's Lite Challenge, what we're going to do is take a classic trope from one genre and translate it into another genre. Style doesn't matter; you could do ship deck plans, a battle map, city map, regional, world, whatever you want. But the idea is to come up with an idea that we've all seen done before, like a castle floor plan, and re-invent it as perhaps the command tower on a massive space cruiser. The idea is to keep as many of the tropes associated with whatever you're mapping as you can, just translated to the new setting.

So, you could do stuff like the Typical Left-Justified Fantasy Continent, but as a modern road map; re-create the area where you live as a fantasy map (like this awesome map); or even remake a space station as an Old West fort.

I realize this may be a little more involved that what we normally do, but it IS supposed to be a challenge, right? If you have any questions, concerns, or complaints, please direct them to this thread or PM me.

The Challenge will run until the 14th of May, then we'll have four days of voting after which the winner will be awarded a brand-spanking-new Silver Compass.

When creating your entry thread, remember to format the title as: April/May 2014 Lite Challenge Entry: *** your title here ***

Also, do remember to preface every work-in-progress image with the tag: ### Latest WIP ###
    This is so the thumbnail scraper can read your image and post it up in the 'Current Lite Challenge Thumbnails' sub-forum. Very important for people to be able to see your work when voting time comes around...
    Last edited by Diamond; 04-19-2014 at 01:10 PM.

Interesting Idea

Guild Member

Would a zombie apocalypse themed hexcrawl be enough of a genre mash-up for this? I'm pondering that idea, but I also have to figure out how much free time I really have with a commission on the stove and a foreign exchange teacher coming in a couple weeks.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Just a reminder, this month's contest will end on the evening of the 14th, which is next Wednesday.