Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Working on Sea Life for an upcoming map set...

All of it looks really beautiful in context, I especially like the coral and plants. Something about the lighting on the octopus looks different from the rest to me. And definitely a superior crab.

Last one for the night (early morning), a Sting Ray - again modeled in 3D in Nendo, imported to Raydream Studio for rendering, exported to JPG imported Xara given transparent colors and drop shadow, then exported as PNG with Alpha channel. Enjoy!

Edit: just created a tiger shark this morning, so I attached it to this post.

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sting-ray.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	682.3 KB 
ID:	63449Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tiger-shark.png 
Views:	80 
Size:	326.5 KB 
ID:	63458
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 04-24-2014 at 11:29 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Member

Looks great! What program do you use for the 3D modeling?

Edit: Nevermind, somehow I missed the last two posts. Thanks for your explanation of your process.

Here's everything so far!

Name:	coral-reef-test.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	986.0 KB 
ID:	63459
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    Looks great! What program do you use for the 3D modeling?
    I'm thinking of using the following as one of the 3D tutorials for the 4th guide book. Here is a series of 16 steps I used to create a clown fish using Nichimen Nendo, a 3D subdivisional surface modeler. This would work for creating map objects. The following has no text, just a series of numbered illustrations followed by a 3D rendered top view (as I need it) and a side view just to show the overall geometry. The photo is something I googled for clown fish for reference on creating the geometry of the 3D model.

Although I do see that the side fins aren't tall enough to use as a clown fish as an illustrative element, but since I'm really only shooting for a top view, it's still perfect.

Name:	modeling-a-clownfish.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	704.9 KB 
ID:	63472
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 04-25-2014 at 04:49 AM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Here's the clown fish is completely textured in Xara with transparent colors applied - the final missing step in the above illustrated step-by-step process.

GP

Name:	clown_fish_final.png 
Views:	180 
Size:	196.9 KB 
ID:	63485
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 04-25-2014 at 11:21 AM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Guild Journeyer

Hello:
    Wow! They look great. Living on the East coast of the U.S. Blue claw is part of the diet. I am now hungry for crab. Well done

Tracker

I thought that the symbol for the humpback whale had a poorly shaped tail, being unable to drive itself through the water as narrow as it was. So I improved the 3D model, added a surface texture in 3D for a better 'color' result.

Name:	humpback.png 
Views:	118 
Size:	730.1 KB 
ID:	63567
    DrivethruRPG store

This next fish was more complicated with many frilly, semi-transparent fins, and was the toughest object to 3D model and texturize so far - this is the Lion Fish.

Name:	lion_fish.png 
Views:	148 
Size:	374.9 KB 
ID:	63621
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 04-29-2014 at 12:38 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store

That couldn't have been easy. Did you do the fins as a sheet with the shape printed onto it, or did you actually model the edges?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast