Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Working on Sea Life for an upcoming map set...

The fins are drawn in vector shapes placed above and below the model of the fish. I did model all the spines of the tail, pectoral and upper fins, but not the fins themselves. I tried modeling the fins in a first try, but gave up due to getting such poor results.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Sounds like you use the best tool for each section of the job. I've gotten bogged down try to model complex shapes only to see the same thing done on a 2D sheet and look much better, like what you've achieved here. Thanks for the insights on your method.

Next three fish for the set: trigger fish, puffer fish and seahorse. I gave the seahorse a slightly off center rotation so you can see the tail curl... enjoy!

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	triggerfish.png 
Views:	615 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	63631Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pufferfish.png 
Views:	104 
Size:	421.0 KB 
ID:	63632Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seahorse.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	270.5 KB 
ID:	63634
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 04-29-2014 at 05:23 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

One more... a flounder!

GP

Name:	flounder.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	351.1 KB 
ID:	63638
    DrivethruRPG store

Guild Novice

awesome, you seem to have quite a bit modeling experience to produce those this fast.

I've been playing with 3D on and off since 1998, pretty solidly the first six years. Also Nichimen Nendo (now owned by IZWare) is fast and very easy to use subdivisional surface modeler that I create most of my 3D objects, that I export to .3DS format, to import to Raydream Studio to apply lights, shadows, and rendering. All the objects started with a cube, except for the puffer fish, and its main body was a sphere, then extensive extrusions, insets, and smoothing. I create most of the models in under an hour, usually less than a half hour.
    DrivethruRPG store

Only 5 more objects to go to finish the Undersea set. Still feeling hungry since I did that flounder, so for some more succulent taste, here's a lobster. You'll need to melt your own butter!

GP

Name:	lobster.png 
Views:	80 
Size:	490.2 KB 
ID:	63670
    DrivethruRPG store

A golden fan coral, next.

I've only got 2 more to create, but I done for tonight. I also created a yellow tang (fish) but didn't post.

GP

Name:	golden_fan_coral.png 
Views:	75 
Size:	761.6 KB 
ID:	63676
    DrivethruRPG store

Sea snail next, only one left to do and that's a Grouper fish - almost done!

GP

Name:	sea_snail.png 
Views:	160 
Size:	264.6 KB 
ID:	63679
    DrivethruRPG store

The grouper fish is the last one of 50: corals, sea anemones, seaweed/kelp, sea grass, fish, cetaceans, and invertibrates (crabs, sea urchin, starfish, octopus, squid, etc.) I will post these to download for Kickstarter backers, as the first subset of the 250 map object set. I will also release these for sale at $4.99 at the Paizo Store, DrivethruRPG/RPGNow, d20pfsrd.com Store, and Roll20 marketplace, tomorrow.

GP

Name:	grouper_symbol.png 
Views:	80 
Size:	251.1 KB 
ID:	63687
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 05-01-2014 at 05:28 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast