Thread: Advice on style for strongholds/cities and mountains/forests?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Applicant

Wip Region map for a fantasy-ish trilogy

Advice on style for strongholds/cities and mountains/forests?

Hello! This here is a very early version of main areas where a little fantasy trilogy I'm working on takes place - as you see there's not much more than a coastline and som dodgy wavy stuff. The area is largely equal to the Mediterranian in size, plus maybe 10-20%, and I'm not quite decided regarding what way to go now. The style I'm trying to catch is a "modernized" hand-drawn version of the classic maps (Westeros, Midgard, the charts in Malazan book of the Dead etc.).

I reckon I'll keep it in grey-scale, with clean lines reminiscent of vector graphics but with some of the trappings of the classic fantasy maps. That said, now I need some inspiration and possibly some advice: cities and strongholds, mountains, savannah and forests. I've checked out some of the tutorials (as my coastline shows) and I'm working my way through anything that seems conducive to my aims (and will continue to do so), but if any of you have any recommendations I'd be very grateful.

Best regards,
    Lars
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP-Silverdust.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	63346
    Last edited by LarsCB; 04-30-2014 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Clarified title to make continued use of thread easier regarding updates.