Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for some feedback please (Small Farmhouse)

Question Looking for some feedback please (Small Farmhouse)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	h6UrmK0.jpg 
Views:	405 
Size:	407.5 KB 
ID:	63354

Name:	xO74z8T.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	409.4 KB 
ID:	63355

I'm looking for advice on how to improve my map making. I use only a keyboard, mouse, and GIMP; and these maps are representative of the best I can do with these tools and what I've learned so far. It's supposed to show a small farm house and a few recently tilled fields of crops, with a footpath leading into the woods to the northwest. I haven't added any details like trees or furnishings inside the house.

I feel like the maps are 'good enough' to represent the area for my players but I'm not entirely happy with them and I feel like they could look much better. How would you improve these maps to make them look more realistic, or to better represent the scene they're supposed to portray?

I'm a little confused. For the uppermost building, shouldn't the larger section be on the right, and the smaller on the left? That's how the roof is...

EDIT: Nevermind, I see the overhang.
    Last edited by jkat718; 04-21-2014 at 04:13 PM. Reason: I'm dumb.

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by jkat718 View Post
    I'm a little confused. For the uppermost building, shouldn't the larger section be on the right, and the smaller on the left? That's how the roof is...

EDIT: Nevermind, I see the overhang.
    That's actually a good point though - that roof overhang would likely need to be supported by something. There should be at least one wooden post outdoors under the overhang in the first-floor view.

Can you post a version including your square grid laid over it? I'm assuming you're going with the standard 1':5". In that case I think your crop rows are too short. Someone who farms for a living (meaning he or she can support the family and still have surplus to barter for tools, milling services, textiles, etc.) would have crop rows longer than the 10-20' yours seem to be.

Don't be too hard on yourself though - it's a really nice map for someone working with basic tools.

Name:	UiGltto.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	420.6 KB 
ID:	63390

Name:	PecGaer.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	430.5 KB 
ID:	63391

Here's the 'finished' version, with furnishings and grid.

I had trouble finding an opacity or color for the grid that looked nice outside but was also visible on the floor interior. Also having the rug over the grid bugs me, but aside from that this is essentially complete.

As far as the grid goes its 35x35 pixels, normally I do 70x70 as it's the size used on Roll20.net but I kept it smaller for this because this map was for practice and smaller size just made the work quicker.
    Last edited by Dreadloch; 04-21-2014 at 06:36 PM.

I think the grid opacity you have right now is fine, Dread. Why can't you have the grid run over the rug? Also, some sort of support system for the top building's overhang would make the map easier to understand.

EDIT: It looks like you have chimneys on the roofs, but I don't see fireplaces in the houses. Am I mis-seeing the furniture?

The shadow on the fencing should be considerably less than that of the house, right now it looks like the garden is surrounded by man height walls. The rug is also a bit nice looking for the setting. Those criticisms aside I can't imagine any player would fail to appreciate these maps they are looking good.

Oh, I thought the fences were supposed to be wall-height...I really like the trees and roads, very nice textures there.

Maybe they are, no one should suspect I'm right till enough supporting evidence comes through.

This encounter scale map looks fine. You mention recently tilled fields - I don't see any fields tilled or otherwise, are these supposed to be on this map? Aside from the misisng fireplaces beneath where you have chimneys showing on your first map first post. Aside from those points, it looks fine.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    This encounter scale map looks fine. You mention recently tilled fields - I don't see any fields tilled or otherwise, are these supposed to be on this map? Aside from the misisng fireplaces beneath where you have chimneys showing on your first map first post. Aside from those points, it looks fine.
    I believe the fenced-in areas are the tilled fields.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast