Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: APRIL / MAY 2014 LITE CHALLENGE: Vals of Saintonge

If you group a text (like "les vaux submergés") and apply the gradient afterwards you do not have the problem of jumping light reflexes. That is a very minor detail on a great map.

Didn't know that, thanks!
    Ps: new idea to hide the fading of field texture, add hedges around field borders
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hedges.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	63629

That's pretty cool but I don't like the blue border and title font (way too futuristic imo). I think you have a little problem with some chunks of costal roads which leads from sea to sea...

The rest is very impressive and fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    That's pretty cool but I don't like the blue border and title font (way too futuristic imo). I think you have a little problem with some chunks of costal roads which leads from sea to sea...

The rest is very impressive and fun!
    Hello, and thx for the feedback, i'll definitly rework fonts and borders For the coastal roads i'm not sure yet, those roads are the "real ones" taken from GIS data, but with a sea level 20m above, lots of them are half flooded. Maybe i'll erase those roads for esthetic reasons, but i also like the flooded and post deluge feeling

Apologies !! I'm pleading "guilty of misreading" !

I just haven't read the multiple indications about the flood (I have the bad habit to read too fast on a screen). That's an excellent idea, and I don't think you should change it!

I managed to add a few ponds and a lot of hedges quite quickly to give a grove feeling to the landscape. Instead of drawing hedges one by one (so time consuming) i selected the dark areas of the field texture with the magic wand and then paint the selection in the forest layer for a quick hedge feeling.
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	May_challengeWIP.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	2.91 MB 
ID:	63666
    ps: no ofense ilanthar, i often do the same
    Last edited by Francissimo; 04-30-2014 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Francissimo View Post
    I managed to add a few ponds and a lot of hedges quite quickly to give a grove feeling to the landscape. Instead of drawing hedges one by one (so time consuming) i selected the dark areas of the field texture with the magic wand and then paint the selection in the forest layer for a quick hedge feeling.
    Brilliant idea! You have solved the problem and the fields look superb!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Really great work on this! I don't have anything constructive to add except to agree about the clashing fonts.

Thanks for the feedbacks! that's a time consuming map to realise, but i had a lot of fun trying those techniques of land painting by playing with textures, fusion modes, layer effects and the magic wand The cool fact is that once you have perfectly configured all your layer styles you can use them again for other maps. On this map all my layers are painted in black, everything else is due to layer options. The bad side of that method is that the file became quite big and laggy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast