Thread: A tactical map commission

Wip A tactical map commission

Recall my Edara commission project?

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2251

Well this the first of a year's worth of tactical maps, 1 per week. A mountain hollow with an "enchanted" lake, surrounded by bushes of white berries and red flowers, an important harvested plant in this campaign world (?)

Anyway, thought I'd post it.

I am also currently working on a regional map - the south western portion of the Edara continent map (linked above) from the coast into the southern reaches of the mountain range there. This is lake is located someplace there.

I am also working on a continental map of the Underdark reaches of Edara.

(Oh, and I just picked up my first sci-fi map gig, different client)

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountain-hollow.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	683.5 KB 
ID:	5795  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Novice

This looks nice I like the bushes, but was wondering, are the lighter ones towards the lake meant to be reflections, or is there fog or something? ^_^

Can't be reflections since they don't correspond to the size and placement of the darker ones. And there seems to be a greenish haze over the grass on the banks of the lake, so I guess it's indeed fog. What bothers me about this picture is the big rock (?) on the right-hand shore of the lake, it's oddly sticking out compared to the other, more natural looking rocks around.

I love the vegetation on the surrounding hillsides. It's very life-like and natural looking.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nice work GP!

I think the lighter colored bushes, may be partially underwater? Also, I agree with Ghostman that one rock does look 'out of place', almost like its floating above the terrain rather thazn a part of it.

I love your use of what appears to be 'photographic' elements for the trees and other terrain.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post Requirement by client

Sorry, forgot to mention, the client wanted me to put some effect to give the lake a "glow" as if by enchantment. I am not happy with the result but what makes some of the bushes look like reflections or being underwater is this "glow attempt."

The rock was an afterthought and not well developed, but I was kind of rushed on this particular map, while having a busy work week. I was crunched for time, but had to get that map done by yesterday.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Wip 75 pixel goblins

The client also needed some 75 pixel square goblins. Due to my great lack of time, I could only create two... here they are!

GP
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    DrivethruRPG store

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I think the lake glows very nicely actually. I'd suggest shrinking the path texture a little as the cracks look a bit large for the map. Otherwise, nice map!

On question on the trees: How did you do the texture? Black-and-white Plasma and bump maps?
    All works shown in my posts are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Canada License (good thinking jfrazierjr)

Consider all my maps to be usable by anyone for the CWBP. Feel free to ask me for the .xcf or to ask me to change the orientation or scale.

Post Essentially, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Smith View Post
    On question on the trees: How did you do the texture? Black-and-white Plasma and bump maps?
    Essentially, that is exactly it. However, I use Xara Xtreme 4.0 rather than GIMP or Photoshop, which is a hybrid raster/vector application.

First I create a "mouse-drawn" forest shape and fill it with a properly scaled photo texture map of a real forest. Using the transparency tool, instead of a plasma, I use a Fractal Clouds filter, which very levels of transparency in a natural way to the forest shape. Using the transparency profile, I increase the contrast between transitions in transparency to help define the start and end of regions of forest. Finally I apply a heavy edge feather on the entire shape. All done in Xara Xtreme, though I'd say "texture and plasma filter" pretty much is the same thing you'd do in a raster app to get similar results.

I pretty much began experimenting with the transparency tool for this type of results only a few months ago. But I love it and use it extensively - I applied this technique to the mountains surrounding the forest as well.

GP
    DrivethruRPG store