Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Campaign Cartographer a faux pas?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Is Campaign Cartographer a faux pas?

Hello people,

As the title suggests, I was wondering if Campaign Cartographer is considered a good map making software and is it kosher to post maps made from said computer software on this forum. (The reason that I'm asking is that it seems as if everyone here uses GIMP or Photoshop)

I also would like to know how good of a program is it? Is it easy to use? Is there any blatant drawbacks? If I buy it once can I share it among different computers? (and if so, how many?)

Thanks for reading.

Beomir

Quote Originally Posted by Beomir View Post
    I was wondering if Campaign Cartographer is considered a good map making software
    A lot of people think so. Some don't.

is it kosher to post maps made from said computer software on this forum.
    It certainly is. There are lots of CC3 maps posted here.

I also would like to know how good of a program is it?
    That's a matter of opinion. It's also a matter of opinion with Photoshop, The GIMP, Dundjinni, FM8, etc.

Is it easy to use?
    CC3 generally is considered to have a high and long learning curve. But some people don't agree with that.

Is there any blatant drawbacks?
    That's also a matter of opinion. Some would say yes. Some would say no.

If I buy it once can I share it among different computers? (and if so, how many?)
    ProFantasy's license differentiates between commercial and private use. If the usage is commercial, you need a separate license for each computer. Generally (but you need to read the license specifically) for private use, you can install on up to three computers for use by you alone.

FYI: I have and use CC3, FM8, Dundjinni and The GIMP.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Thanks Mark!

That last bit of information was probably the most helpful. I'm glad that it's three computers because that's how many I would like to share it on.

Edit: And thanks to all the replies.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Elothan's Avatar

Default Is Campaign Cartographer a faux pas?

I think CC3 is a nice piece of software, especially when I am working on dungeon or city maps

Not a all, quite a few people use it here. I've seen some nice things made with it - Clercon produces some excellent city maps with it if I recall.

I've never used it myself though but it looks like a very capable piece of software. I don't know the specific benefits and drawbacks, clearly it is more map focused than something general such as photoshop or GIMP but it's still not going to make the map for you.

Cartographers here use all kinds of software, or no software at all with basically hand-drawn work. Some people use Paint or the lowest end software. It's not the software that's important, rather its what you can do with it. I have CC3, City Designer and Dungeon Designer, though I don't use them myself (I run a digital print company and sometimes have to print client maps created in one of those apps - that's why I have them). I don't use GIMP nor Photoshop, rather I use a vector drawing application - Xara Designer Pro 9. I am a professional fantasy cartographer, but my expertise is based on my knowledge of my software, not the software itself.

While I can agree that many/most of the maps and tutorials here seem to be GIMP/Photoshop related, as there are many users of those software, but in no way are those the only mapping applications used here.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Journeyer

@Beomir

For what it is worth, I started with Campaign Cartographer, I found it cumbersome and a steep learning curve. I migrated to Photoshop and have never been happier. PS has a serious learning curve too, but it is much more powerful. Plus you get to try all the tutorials on this website. I am self taught in PS, and in some ways it was a long journey, but I know I am better off because of it. I make way better maps in PS than I ever did in CC. So, if you are starting out and considering which way to go...I would dump CC and go with PS or GIMP.

Galendae

I think the biggest reason you don't see as much CC3 work here is because Profantasy has a very helpful and active forum of their own, and that tends to cause some sequestration.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

As Galendae I too started off with CC3 but I migrated to Photoshop. In my opinion CC3 is a great piece of software, but since I'm more leaning towards a drawing/painting experience, it's not for me.

I guess the main difference between CC3 and other programs is that with CC3 you can punch out a map fairly easily and quickly, if you just need something for a RPG campaign or something like that. To make them look really nice, though, that requires a lot more work in my experience.
    With PS or Gimp, if you own a tablet, the whole process is, at least to me, a lot more natural.

So, in the end it really is a matter of opinion.

Out of curiosity do you have to be good at drawing artwork to use GIMP or Photoshop to make maps?

By the way, thanks for all the helpful replies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast