Thread: Howdy.

Post Howdy.

Hey everyone,

Somehow I stumbled onto your fantastic forum here after downloading some maps from fantasymaps.wordpress.com. And let me tell you, having only seen a couple pieces so far (including Rob's mind-numbingly amazing creations for his invented world), I'm happy to be here!

As for me, I've been fascinated with map for as long as I've been involved with RPGs, starting back in elementary school with Final Fantasy 2 (IV) on the Super NES. Reading the Lord of the Rings only worsened my problem. Well, to be more specific, reading Tolkien's vast appendixes only worsened my problem.

The level of detail he put into his world mesmerized me; I thought it was the coolest thing ever (still do). At the time, I hoped to one day create a world of my own with that much depth (still do).

Nowadays, I am constantly tinkering away at a fantasy world of my own making, still hanging doggedly onto the dream of a fully functioning world to set my own adventures in. To be honest, while certain core concepts remain the same year in and out, there are major revisions that come down the pike every year or so, especially in the area of the world's geography.

So, I'll soon be posting some manner of an introduction to the "Umbraland" and my cartographic goals, but for the time being, I'll finish out my introduction with one of the two general styles of maps I'm working on. This would be the typical "fantasy" style of an old and worn map, but I'm aiming for an especially worn look. While obviously and apparently incomplete, I'm at a point where I am happy with the general look of the paper texturing, folds (mostly), and edge crinkling (though I need to smooth out the transitions / borders in some places). Past that, weathering to the "ink" and color still needs to be applied, and the actual design of the map itself is still very much up in the air (ergo the absolute lack of content - the nation labels were there for an experiment in gold leaf, which didn't turn out as well as I would have liked).

But it's a start. There'll be more to come, and I'm very much looking forward to getting to know you all!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	umbraland-ancient_map.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	367.0 KB 
ID:	5774  
    Last edited by Will Phillips; 08-07-2008 at 06:08 AM.
    Current Project: The Low Countries & Their Periphery, c. 1584

Do you like Renaissance and early modern history? Check out my Facebook page, Renaissance Netherlands with Will Phillips.

welcome to the guild. I love your map, including the cup stain
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Welcome here!

Nice map, really.
    Hinaloth F. Lester, at your service.

Back, with even more mapping!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome aboard!

The 'aging'' on your map is very effective.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Just a minor quibble with your map: the names look superimposed on the map... It lacks a certain je-ne-sais-quoi to make it look like it's actually written on the map.

Otherwise, very, very well done. That parchment looks awesome.
    All works shown in my posts are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Canada License (good thinking jfrazierjr)

Consider all my maps to be usable by anyone for the CWBP. Feel free to ask me for the .xcf or to ask me to change the orientation or scale.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Smith View Post
    Just a minor quibble with your map: the names look superimposed on the map... It lacks a certain je-ne-sais-quoi to make it look like it's actually written on the map.

Otherwise, very, very well done. That parchment looks awesome.
    Yeah, as I mentioned in the OP, the names where tossed on for an experiment in recreating gold leaf which didn't look too great. So, left them for the time being to combine that image with my separate parchment .psd.

Really, the only thing complete about the map is the parchment / texture, so thanks for the compliment on it!
    Current Project: The Low Countries & Their Periphery, c. 1584

Do you like Renaissance and early modern history? Check out my Facebook page, Renaissance Netherlands with Will Phillips.