Thread: Basic Question about DPI

Guild Apprentice

Question Basic Question about DPI

Hi Guys,
    I plan to print my maps using the printer at work and the information I read suggested that I use 300dpi if I am going to print and 72dpi if i was using a VTT setup.

Looking at the maps that MadCowChef has posted lately they are 72dpi and look great.

so I guess my question is, if I am not getting my maps printed professionally, should I just use 72dpi?

I would definitely try a black and white copy of one of the maps you're looking to print. Really the key when printing is to get that square to fit a token of whatever size you're using, most commonly a miniature (pewter, paper, or plastic). There are tutorials on using Post Razor for printing single images on multiple pages and they may have some additional instructions on getting things to work. In general, though, you can blow up any DPI image and get reasonable results... it all depends on your standards.

Guild Apprentice

Thanks Phantos, I am familiar with Post Razor and success with it in the past. I will make some maps at 72dpi and print them to see how they turn out.

You can also lower the print size and use the same pixel dimensions to up the dpi.

If you don't print, the DPI is not important.