Thread: Kidasuna Global Map

Wip Kidasuna Global Map

I've been working on this off and on for six months. I decided to screen shot the image little by little and produce an image that I can share in high res. I have a full BMP for this map, so I can continue to make updates to it. This is the planet that my book and stories are centered around. The map was drawn on RPG Maker 2003 with a custom made chipset.

The remaining work to be done is mostly on cities and I an thinking about adding different field types and ranches. There is a huge collection of written material that goes with this map, which includes history, religion and even science and technology of the civilization that lives on Kidasuna.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kidasuna Global Map.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	63423

Clearly RPG Maker 2003 is a niche gaming mapping aid, not a specialized cartographic software. So I understand that it has its limits. And I'm not sure what sort of advice you're looking for.

That said, if this continent really spans nearly pole to pole on a presumably Earth-sozed world then some of your cities are about the size of metropolitan France. (But, heck, it's fantasy, right?) Also, if you search around for River Police input you'll find that a river splitting in two is unlikely. Rivers converge, and rarely split. At least I think that's what that longest river is doing- with one branch into a endorheic lake or swamp and the other eventually to the sea. If that's all supposed to be one lake or swamp then this doesn't apply.

The west coast reminds me of South America, with an arid strip hemmed in by a coastal mountain range, so that looks reasonable. I'm not sure that the various symbols and colors mean, so I can't comment intelligently about climates, but barring magic or other deus ex machina processes on west coasts tropical forest generally runs within 10 degrees of the equator, then desert or arid steppes to about 30 degrees, and then you might see a bit of Mediterranean climate followed by maritime forest before hitting subarctic climes. If they are high enough your wesy coast mountains might limit the desert from exapnding eastwards across the continent- again, as in South America. Them much of your east coast would be tropical forest to within about 10 or 15 degrees of the equator, then east coast subtropical forest, then laurentian, etc. Check out the Climate Cookbook if you're interested in an advanced primer.
    Last edited by acrosome; 04-23-2014 at 11:12 AM.

It's been slow going, but I am starting to work on the global map again. I am starting to work out the climate zones for my planet. I am going to go with what seems right for a planet like Kidasuna with a lower degree of tilt than Earth's and 3 times the atmosphere which will have unknown affects on the weather patterns. I am guessing with sea level on Earth being 30,000 feet up on Kidasuna, that the mountains would actually be no barrier for rain as it is on Earth. I might do away with the desert altogether in my next update. I know it's late, but thanks for the advice arcsome.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small Kidasuna RGP Style Map.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	67055

Hey Darkseed

My questions are similar to what Arcsome said. It seems to me you're going for a realistic sort of world here, but I can't give advice unless I know more about the world. How big is it relative to earth? Going by whatever size you give, do you know where your tropic longitudal lines will go? And then you'll need to work out pressure systems based on that, and then trade winds, and then ocean currents, and climates come after that. I can help with that stuff, but I need to know where the tropics of "cancer" and "capricorn" are first, and that depends how big the planet is.

Having said that, your supercontinent here is rather interesting. It has a Pangea sort of feel to it, as though it could look something like earth in 150Ma. Was that intentional?