Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Elzevir - Geopolitics

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Could you precise? Too thin line or problem with the shadow?
    I meant the horizontal lines that form this "shadow" around the land. I understand that it is a good way to make the small islands stand out better, but a) in my view it does not fit the style - perhaps you should try concentric lines - and b) it kind of blurs the coastline in general.

I agree with Freodin, it looks a bit strange, but I think it depends on the projection you have used. When we see a map of the earth most of us have an other picture in mind.
    Excellent work btw
    Last edited by Katto; 04-25-2014 at 01:16 PM. Reason: spelling

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Yeah, viewing this on a tablet would be awesome! Actually, for tablet users, I can imagine the text in lots of angles adds something. I'm thinking… If you were to make a game for ipads and such, you'd take advantage of the differences in how one use a tablet compared to a computer, with the touch screen, gyro, etc… So images can be made with the same idea, right? Maybe this is a map for tablet viewing?

Of course, you could also make a computer port of it, to continue the simile… And in that case, I would personally change all the text. I like how it follows the graticule, and I definitely think you should keep that, but those that are the most upside-down could be flipped. That's what I would do at least, but hey, it's your map and if you like the labels the way they are, keep them!

Thanks a lot for the constructive comments and answers!

@Freodin & Katto : noted, here's a test without those lines.

@Lingon : it's not designed for a tablet, more for being laid on a table (I'm a good old pen&paper gamer...). Your comment just makes me think that I could follow the graticules on the perpendicular side, each times it's needed So here it is!

Attachment 63517
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	another earth test.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	63516  
    Last edited by Ilanthar; 04-26-2014 at 09:11 AM. Reason: a few corrections

Depending on how much work it is for you, you might try a version with concentric lines for the coast-shadow... but in my opinion, it is perfect now. I feared that the (smaller) islands might be left unrecognizable without that shadows, but they are still fine.

Another superb map in your portfolio!

A version with a coastal line. Just one, I think it will be crowded with more... What do you think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elzevir orgline.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	63520

Thank you for making all the effort!

I like the bare version best... but ultimately, it is what YOU think what matters most.

And now that we do have three versions to chose from, we you all pick the one we like best, print it out and have it grace our living rooms!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

I really like the latest version! That coastline is very clean and attractive, and the labels are indeed a lot easier to read now. Although… If I may be picky… I think some of them could have been left along the parallells like in the first, because I love how that looks Just, you know, turned, so they are not upside-down! the shape of each country should be the deciding factor, in my opinion, so for example, I would put Kongo along the parallels, Angola along the meridians, Guinée Francaise along the parallell, Zanjar along the meridian…
    And yes, this level of nitpicking means that the map is really, really good

You're not making my choice easy! I agree with both of you that the 2 tests are better than the first coastline (far too old compared to the rest of the map, I see that now)... I'll need time to make my choice, I suppose.

Well, yes, you're right about the labels, Lingon. That makes sense, I'll rework that!

Hmm, I reworked the labels and I'm making a test concerning the border. I was thinking to add the countries flags on the top and the territories/colonies/etc. flags of those countries on the bottom. I intend to put the title in the gap of the upper border...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elzevir org2.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	63568

Isn't it too crowded? Bad idea? I'm interested in your views on this (flags are pretty long to do...).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast