Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Elzevir - Geopolitics

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Labeling = perfect The flags and title in the middle seems like a great idea. Only risk I see is if the flags are very colorful, they could become quite distracting in a map as subtly colored as this one. But it's hard to say beforehand, and I'd love to see it done!

Based on what flags you already put in, I don't think they will distract too much from the map. I cast my vote for: do it!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

You make me want to print this off, cut it out, and tape it together to see this polyhedron in all its glory. Have you tried that yet? Do you have a picture you care to share?

By Coriolis
    Have you tried that yet? Do you have a picture you care to share?
    Thanks! That crossed my mind, but I fear some labels would spread on foldings... Maybe I'll do a test with a small one to check.

And here is the version with title and flags (so many flags... that was long).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elzevir org flags.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	63655

Guild Novice

Hey, sorry to bring back the discussion about text orientation after all of that, but I picture this map being big and laying on a table (as someone else already suggested.) I also picture players sitting around the table, one for each empire/alliance, like it was some big game of Risk or something and being able to read the data applicable that player's perspective. In other words the bottom of the text is oriented toward the south, which ever way that is on the map, in the direction of the player. To me, having some of the text oriented upside down or sideways from the point of view of a single reader doesn't bother me, as it is radially symmetrical about the North Pole. It bothers me more to see the names haphazardly flipped and turned with respect to the country they label. So with that, we've gone the full circle back to where you were originally! lol. (Why bother to ask us anything!)

Great map, by the way. I find myself just glued to it!

Oh, a little thing I noticed. The country you labeled as Burma, is really in the Viet Nam, Cambodia, Thailand area (IndoChina). Burma is farther west (in case you didn't do that on purpose.)
    Last edited by GeoPopID; 05-01-2014 at 01:39 AM.

By GeoPopID
    Hey, sorry to bring back the discussion about text orientation after all of that, but I picture this map being big and laying on a table (as someone else already suggested.) I also picture players sitting around the table, one for each empire/alliance, like it was some big game of Risk or something and being able to read the data applicable that player's perspective.
    No need to be sorry , comments are always appreciated The "laid on table as an ordnance map" was indeed my first intention. It's not designed for a board game as Risk, but for a tabletop RPG of my own. The Risk idea is interesting though, I could certainly do one Risk map from it.
    I kinda like the new version too, as a "fantasy" rememberance of the good old world map surrounded by flags I got in my childhood. I may go with two versions... I'll think about it.

Great map, by the way. I find myself just glued to it!
    Thanks!

Oh, a little thing I noticed. The country you labeled as Burma, is really in the Viet Nam, Cambodia, Thailand area (IndoChina). Burma is farther west (in case you didn't do that on purpose.)
    I'm quite aware about that, and in fact, the eastern part of the Indian League of Travancore is composed of two territories named ("rightly") upper and lower Burma. It's an uchronia, and in this case, all the area is called "Burma" by its inhabitants.

The flags turned out great! I think it looks better on the top row of maps, where there's some space between them and the map. If you could add that space above the bottom row as well, it would make it feel more coherent
    I like the simple title, no cartouche or effects or anything, very nice for this style! The font, while appropriate for the time period, doesn't fit with the other fonts though, imo. But I'm not sure what to suggest instead… Maybe something like Academy Engraved Let? It's a quite lovely art deco-ish font that could tie together with the nation font you're using, but also feel a little more fancy, suitable for titles.

Thanks for the feedback Lingon! Academy Engraved Let is a commercial font, right? I didn't have it, so I tried another one.

I reorganized the down flags a bit, and think it's better now. And honestly, I don't see much more to do... except if someone sees something else to improve.
    I won't do a second version because I'm pretty sure that the map will pass most of the time on a wall and less on a table. And even on the table, it would be better for my players to be able to read everything.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elzevir org flags.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	63725

Guild Novice

I'm really amazed by this map. It's just way too cool. Incredible work.

Yeah, it's probably commercial, I only have it because it came with one of my apps actually! But you found one that works even better here The flag placement is great. I've got nothing more to add now!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast