Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Elzevir - Geopolitics

Help Elzevir - Geopolitics

I came back to my old passion for the dymaxion projection and my Elzevir setting... And I wanted to use all the new things I learned lately, so, you'll recognize some elements undoubtedly! Still not confident with those new test, I really want to know if you see possible improvements or mistakes?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elzevir Org.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	63435

Its a map of alliances and big international organisations in an uchronic 1948 world without any world war and a lot of fantastic things (as colonized and inhabitable moon, mars and venus).

Guild Adept

great map!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Aesthetically, gorgeous. One of the nicest looking real-world maps I've seen really, I'd love to hang that on my wall. The colors are fantastic.
    There is a problem, to me, though, with the text. I'd prefer not to have to tilt my head to read everything

The work you did to create the subtle discoloration is fantastic. It's especially nice over the oceans by avoiding the field of solid blue effect. Very cool!

This projection hurts my brain in the best way possible.

That is so awesome!

Thanks a lot guys!

By Lingon
    I'd love to hang that on my wall.
    I feel the same way with your Antillia map

By Lingon
    There is a problem, to me, though, with the text. I'd prefer not to have to tilt my head to read everything
    Yeah, I know. I wanted it to look like an ordnance map or strategic map, layed on a table with all the tacticians around... But it is hard to read indeed, and that blocked me of putting a title or cartouche somehow. So, I may change that.

@MarcTassin : the funny thing is that the sea has been one of the easiest thing to make

@Madcowchef : sorry for your brain, I do like this projection

I still feel there are something wrong or to improve about that, without being able to point it out, so don't hesitate to suggest!

The coastline shadow/lines bothers me a little.... seems to be not quite in style.

But the rest of the map? Sorry, I cannot find any flaws in it. It's just gorgeous.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Ah, that's an interesting idea, about the ordnance map! I can see how it would be useful to have text in many angles in that context. But when viewing it on screen, with no possibility to walk around it, I think it's not ideal. Reading upside-down is more difficult than the aesthetic effect is worth, imho!

By Freodin
    The coastline shadow/lines bothers me a little.... seems to be not quite in style.
    Could you precise? Too thin line or problem with the shadow?

By Lingon
    But when viewing it on screen, with no possibility to walk around it, I think it's not ideal.
    Except if you have a tablet ! But yeah, I agree with you (and I have no tablet...). I hesitate to change all the text, though. Maybe just the text around the map and not the country names/oceans. What do you think?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast