Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small city map: mixing gis data and photoshop

Default Small city map: mixing gis data and photoshop

Hello fellow cartographers! On that map i started with GIS data, mainly forests roads buildings and rivers. I also use contour line to help me paint the relief with some bewell effects. I intend to represent hills with a low slope so i tried to be soft with the bewell effect. After the relief was done, i imported my layers (roads ect) in photoshop, use layer styles to improve the render, add a few hedges and export to illustrator for labeling and symbols. Hope you'll like it!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StJean_-02.jpg 
Views:	477 
Size:	2.95 MB 
ID:	63457

This looks very nice Francissimo! Nice technique.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks arsheesh, my technique can be gratefull to all those tutorials that can be found in the forum, including yours

Thanks ravells, i'll try to post the map cut in 2 parts tomorrow, the files are at my work the resolution of the map isnt much better than this one but they are a few more details too see with a bigger version.
    By the way, what's the average size of your PS document at the end of a project? Mine are often over 200 mb and the computer starts to feel bad at that point.
    Last edited by Francissimo; 04-24-2014 at 02:31 PM.

Very good looking map, thanks for sharing!

Thx Salama, here is a bigger version of the map with a few more details visible, This is the limit of the map, my ps document became too big to have a better resolution
    Attachment 63470
    Last edited by Francissimo; 04-25-2014 at 03:39 AM.

Beautiful map Francissimo! My only (slight) critics would be about the roads : very good when zoomed out but a bit too "google overlaying" when zoomed in.

thanks Ilanthar, and i agreee with your comment on roads. My problem was that the road layer is above my relief layer so i played with transparency on roads to let the relief visible , when you zoom in the tricks is less efficient. Maybe i should have add a little texture to the road layer, but my ps file was already really big so i thought it was time to stop adding effects before the computer burns

I like the first smaller version. The larger map shows compression artifacts in the background texture and different quality elements e.g. crisp text and (rail-)roads vs. blurry buildings, background.
    What about slight differences in the roof colours?
    I like this style and hope to see more in the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast