Thread: Kael'Tristin "The Gate to the North"

Default Kael'Tristin "The Gate to the North"

Hello all. I have decided to come back to the forum. Last year I did an interesting map. I thought it would be cool to do a zoomed in version of the Herwin Weilinks annual for CC3. It's something different rather than a continent map. I really love his symbol set. I hope you all enjoy it.

I am revamping some of my lore to fit a more realistic world with some dashes of High Fantasy. This scaled in version will be featured in a larger map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Great City.JPG 
Views:	410 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	63478

I guess CC3 gets no love here on these forums. lol. Oh well. Better luck next time.

Guild Journeyer

I use CC3 and like this map. Great job with the mountains and cliffs.
    Keng

I really like this a lot. It's got some great artwork and really gives you a sense of the area.

I do think you could make better font choices. Even just the drop shadow you used. It should be going in the same direction as the shadows on the map if you are going to keep them.

Look around at other maps like this for inspiration from how they handled their text.

Thanks you two. I love this symbol set.

Tim: Didn't even consider the shadow on the next to be consistent with the shadow on the mountains. I'll do that next time. Thanks! I like the font used. It's rather difficult to find a high fantasy font that stands out and is readable.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

I love the coloration of the map. Very detailed.

Quote Originally Posted by Eronakis View Post
    Thanks you two. I love this symbol set.

Tim: Didn't even consider the shadow on the next to be consistent with the shadow on the mountains. I'll do that next time. Thanks! I like the font used. It's rather difficult to find a high fantasy font that stands out and is readable.
    Maybe it doesn't have to be a high fantasy font. The fonts are so crisp compared to the hand drawn quality of the map. The curving and the slanting of the fonts isn't helping readability, as I see it. Nor the color choices.

One suggestion, use a font to lay out the text, then trace over it. That way it will have a hand drawn look, without the hassle of penciling out the text.

The mountain and city structure features are amazing, however I feel a bit could be done to improve the look of the titles and forest elements. They just look like they "stand-out" too much to me.
    Hand-drawn Fantasy Maps by A.S. Woods