Thread: Photoshop Brush Size

Default Photoshop Brush Size

Hi, I'm a new member, so please forgive me if this question has been previously addressed. I should also add that while I know my way around photoshop a little, I am new to using it for mapping purposes.

My questions is regarding the PS brush "sketchy_cartography_brushes_by_starraven...". I have seen a lot of people use it for their mapping and am having a little trouble with something. I've noticed that the default sizes of the brushes look fantastic, but when you attempt to increase their size they lose clarity. I am trying to create a regional map that is quite detailed and want to increase the size of forests, hills, and so forth but would like them to appear as great as they do in their default size. Therefore, my question is simply - is there a way to make them larger without losing quality, and if so - how?

Thanks very much in advance - and again I apologize if this is a rather "nubie" question.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Usually, scaling a brush up (or down) makes it blurry. You can always add a sharp filter on it but you would loose quality anyway.

Thanks Max. I've noticed you've used the brush yourself, and it seems you've employed it at larger size - especially on your latest, but perhaps not to the extreme that it loses clarity. I've only done things by hand, primarily in ink, and mostly based on Abraham Ortelius' style. Your latest is very reminiscent of Diogo Ribeiro - though obviously with more detail.
    Last edited by Scarow; 04-25-2014 at 07:39 PM.

Depending on the brush, sometimes it's possible to create a vectorized version of it, scale that up, and then recreate the brush at the larger size. Illustrator's auto-trace function can do it, and I seem to recall that there was a free online vectorizor out there that did an even better job. It won't work very well if there is any translucency in the brush, though.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name