Thread: IRANIL - The Coldest Day of the Year

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Map IRANIL - The Coldest Day of the Year

This is the second in a series of three maps I am doing as thanks for a few people in a worldbuilding community I am part of.

In general I am VERY happy with this map. I think I am really improving with my titles. It mostly takes patience, caution, and planning. In the past I kinda did titles as a bit of an afterthought. Somethings I'm not so happy about are the compass rose (as I don't usually do them it ended up looking a bit wonky) and the marks at the top of the page caused by hang drying the map after ageing it.

The alignment of the figures in the legend were also a bit off.

Anyway, I'd love to hear what you guys think! Cheers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Iranil-page-001.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	4.33 MB 
ID:	63495  
    Hand-drawn Fantasy Maps by A.S. Woods

I'm going to actually vote in favor of the marks left by the clips, they look like actual uneven aging. As far as criticism, you're already aware of the biggest fault (you need a compass to make that compass) and I love the style you've chosen in general.

Thanks in regards to the style! I actually wouldn't mind some pointers (no pun intended) for compass roses if you have any. Just general elements and structure.

I agree about the compass. As for the rest of the map, I really enjoy the overall style and feel.

I like it pretty much but I'm not sure if I agree with your definition of cold.

Yeah I would tend to agree. I found it hard to match the creators necessity for a forest to the north of the map and a reflection of a cold winter in my shading and design for forests. Think I might work on that a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Woods View Post
    Yeah I would tend to agree. I found it hard to match the creators necessity for a forest to the north of the map and a reflection of a cold winter in my shading and design for forests. Think I might work on that a bit.
    unless the cold is used in a metaphor

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

That's quite beautiful I don't mind the compass at all, this is a hand-drawn fantasy map and they are (to me) not meant to be an exact representation of what the land really looks like, so if the compass rose isn't exact either, no big deal. And I like the design of it.
    But as Azelor (and yourself) points out, it doesn't feel cold. The reason is very simple really: the colors you used are very warm. Here is a map I think does a fantastic job at showing a low temperature:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/cu...y-fitedra.html

Very nice map! The overall style is good and the map would be right in its place in a fantasy book/rpg. I agree with Lingon about the "cold" feeling. As your choice of colours is harmonious and pleasant, it feels more "warm", mainly because of the yellow as main color, imho.