Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dealing with artifacts in Wilbur

Blog Entries

Before I do anything I can I check the link. Did you order it using something like this:

Map-a-planet

and get the email link through for download ?

Yes, that's the website I ordered it from. They then send you a link for download. (But the link I posted above to download the file has expired- we'd have to order a new one.)

Alternately, what's a decent filesharing schema and I'll post it- though I've never done that before. Or I could email it to you. (If you trust me.)

I've been working on patching the blank spots in the data, and I played with the contrast and brightness so that the map uses the full 255 grayscale colors. It's starting to look useable. I still haven't started working on the streaks, though. If you can easily correct them then you're a better man than I. I'll probably start fiddling with them by hand next.

On that note, in Wilbur is there a way to select a region and drop it by a defined amount? For instance, so that every point has it's altitude is lowered by X?
    Last edited by acrosome; 05-06-2014 at 02:03 PM.

Blog Entries

Ok I have requested the image, got the link and downloaded it and then done some filtering on it. I uploaded the unfiltered version Here and the filtered version Here. Both are 13Mb images so I may remove them from my download areas after a while. I hope they are useful. I cant fill in the blanks but it should provide you with some better data around the stripes bit. I recommend cutting out bits of the filtered version as required instead of using it as the main basis. The filtering does adjust the data somewhat.

Wow. Your filter did a great job, and I'm sure that I can easily manipulate parts into another file as you mentioned, using layers in GIMP. But unfortunately you got sent a "bad" file to begin with- the grayscale is maxed out, so all the mountains look like plateaus, again. (Aka height clipping?) For some reason depending upon your settings on the Map-A-Planet site that happens sometimes, I've discovered.

However, I have delved into the arcana of filesharing, if you'd like to see what I'm working on. I got a decent version from Map-A-Planet and re-did the histogram so all 256 grayscale's are used with white (255) defined as the highest point on the planet and others scaled down from there to black (0) being the lowest point on the planet. I've filled in a few of the holes in the data, but not all.

The streaks are still there- I decided that just cloning looks like crap, so I re-started fixing the holes in the data by hand, and I'm far from done.

I just realized that the file I'm working on is probably small enough to post here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SypherionFixed.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	3.45 MB 
ID:	63798

Which is a bit disappointing, actually. I've clearly lost something. The original bitmaps are 13MB, but this is only 3.6MB. How did I lose all of that? And, indeed, if you look at my image it is much more "contoury."

Grr. Well, I'm off to play around with this a bit more...
    Last edited by acrosome; 05-07-2014 at 09:08 AM.

So, here are some more download links from Map-A-Planet, in various formats, and they all look good (no height clipping). Even the JPEGs. Links are good until May 10th.

RAW

JPEG

GIF

TIFF

So, I'm starting over. Again. But, hell, at least I'm learning new stuff about GIMP and Wilbur. If anything these files look too good- the resolution is fine enough that all sorts of streaks and artifacts are visible, and I doubt that I can just extrapolate the blank spaces by hand. I'll have to Clone, which I have yet to get the hang of without it looking obvious. And I'm looking forward to seeing how well the Smooth function works in Wilbur.

Eventually I'm planning on breaking the map down into 5x5-degree-ish (depending upon latitude) regional maps.
    Last edited by acrosome; 05-07-2014 at 09:18 AM.

Blog Entries

I uploaded a new unfiltered version Here and the filtered version Here. These are based on the JPG link you provided.

Awesome! Thanks! If I could rep you I would. Hell- I'll try, anyway.

If anything, that looks even better than the previous one. Clearly, whatever process you used adds some streaking, too- around the blank spots for instance- but the original ones are gone and as you recommended I can cut/paste around a bit. So, now back to some drudgery... This is going to take a while.
    Last edited by acrosome; 05-08-2014 at 09:43 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12