Thread: Mine Entrance (WIP) - Pillars or no?

Guild Journeyer

Question Mine Entrance (WIP) - Pillars or no?

This is a WIP look at a new black and white map I'm working on, the Black Sage Mine. I've started messing around with pillars / supports along the edge of the passages, trying to decide if I actually need something or not. This sample is using a plain black block to represent wooden pillars along the edges of the main entrance passage. I'm not really happy with these right now. I think they're too small, but if I make them much larger, they really clog the smaller passages (those are 5' grid squares).

So... do I need them? Too small? Too much black? What do you think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	63584

I think they help define it as a mine. How much space they take up determines how much cover they can possibly provide, so if you want no cover keep them small, if you want them to add tactically rather than just aesthetically make them larger. I don't think they look bad now, but some of them are far enough off from each other it makes it look like they've twisted, so you could add a few that have fallen down partially blocking passages and what not to integrate them more with the map.

Guild Journeyer

Hello:
    Keep them and if the players, characters, or you decide during the story that enough get taken out then "Its Over Man" as it was once stated in a movie. They also show at least at one time this area was being maintained. Additionally with a good written description the writing on the pillars or directions on the pillars or the graffiti can provide additional data to the players / readers or a harbinger of doom. Your choice.

Tracker

Guild Journeyer

So... pillars it is then! Thanks all. Now I just need something that looks good.