Thread: A cure for Mapping Indecisiveness

Default A cure for Mapping Indecisiveness

I have what you call mapping indecisiveness. Here's my problem.

The types of maps I usually end up making are usually regarding a high fantasy world that would be used in an mmorpg. Thus, when I have that perspective of a game world I feel like I must show detail to each of the "zones" on the map. A "zone" is like different type of environment. Such as Forest, Mountains, Deserts ect. For those who play mmo rpg's understands where I am coming from.

My problem is not the content inside the continent. But I suffer from what a continent will look like and the scale of the content inside of that continent. I fully understand that most maps on this forum are scaled upward where with little detail inside a forest for an example. It just shows a forest. However, the maps I want to create are maps that are scaled differently than what is most commonly designed here. So my maps may look awkward or different or somewhat patchy because of the diverse types of environments.

How do you recover from mapping indecisiveness when it comes to what a continent shape is?

Any other advice would be great.

You seems to have two questions, one for the scale and the other for the continent shape, right ?

1- On the forum, we have world, continental, regional and even local maps (also some space maps). It covers up pretty much all of the possible scales a map can be. I think you will have a hard time finding an unused map scale unless you map some atoms, that's not very popular.

2- For the shapes, I don't understand. Basically, landmasses are just bit of land out of the water so they could have a lot of different shapes. It 's influenced by the tectonic plates movements but since you get to decide of that, you can do whatever you like as long as I does not violate any of your world laws (physical, magical). Of course, one could say that since it's a aesthetic map it need to look good but that's entirely at your discretion.
    Last edited by Azélor; 04-29-2014 at 11:51 AM.