Thread: Umbraland Satellite Atlas

Wip Umbraland Satellite Atlas

Alright, so I've been up way too late finishing out the topography, so right now, all you get is the work in progress - not even a description of the project, no flavor text about the world, no goals, nothing!

I'll talk about what I'm working on tomorrow. I'm going to bed!

So, here's the topography of my map, ocean detail and biomes and such are coming.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	umbraland-atlas-topography.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	465.3 KB 
ID:	5786  
    Current Project: The Low Countries & Their Periphery, c. 1584

Do you like Renaissance and early modern history? Check out my Facebook page, Renaissance Netherlands with Will Phillips.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nice start, looking forward to seeing more.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Praise Very Nice

I like it, the rivers are nice and look sane, the terrain is hilly but plausible, very well done.

It's a great start. I like the way that the land rises to the mountains. The only thing that I see is that the mountain ridgelines are a little too uniform and smooth, but the hills and foothills are great!

I wanted the design to look like how mountain ranges actual look like, which, much to my suprise as I checked out the atlases, is series of paralel ridges, most of the time.
    Current Project: The Low Countries & Their Periphery, c. 1584

Do you like Renaissance and early modern history? Check out my Facebook page, Renaissance Netherlands with Will Phillips.

I agree with that, but what was jumping out at me is the mountains on the western side of the map. The ridgelines there are long, graceful curves, which is pretty rare. Most of the time, they run for a distance and merge with another ridge, or dwindle down. Also, there are usually weathered and worn by erosion.

Still, this map is better than what I can do, and I don't think I mentioned it before, but your rivers are very good also.

Post My Critiques

I agree with "landorl", mountains ranges are the result of tectonic overlap and collision, or volcanic upheaval in the case of a lone mount. Also, I did see some rivers that look as if they are flowing up hill.

I also spotted a tributary on the Northwest peninsula that flows counter to the main flow. That only happens if the river's course was carved by massive back flow like those of the grand canyon, and I don't see any geological evidence to support such.

I would add a small lake at the point where they meet, its more of a pack, but its also likely that such tidal forces impacting against each other would eventually carve a lake.
    Last edited by someguy; 08-08-2008 at 05:33 PM.