Thread: Help with Mountain range accommodation

Default Help with Mountain range accommodation

Every time I finish a map (no matter how beautifully drawn it is), I notice that most of my continents and mountain ranges don't seem fit in together as I wish it should. some of the mountains seem to be out of place, are forming squared mountain ranges or simply I excessively add unnecessary mountains that look good at the time, but then, when I look at the bigger picture I found out that there are so many mountains there's not space for other more significant land features in a map of a land where humans live. that kind of mistakes gets me terribly frustrated, a lot of work done for nothing (If you understand me).
    The thing is that I now NOTHING about geography and I'm not about to grab a geography book and study.
    So please someone point me to what I should do, a mountain placing rule or whatever. Even a computer program.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I really recommend that you "grab a geography book and study." Studying the thing you want to represent is really the only way to get good at it.

There are many, many good online books out there on the topic. Consider a search on "physical geography" as an excellent starting point.

I agree with Waldronate, you need some basic geography knowledge if you want to make a good map. You should concentrate on tectonic plate movement first to get a better idea how mountains are formed.

I don't know what software you are using to map (or if it's hand drawn?) but it's a good idea to try to plan ahead since mountains is a central feature in many maps. This will help you get a better idea of the whole thing before the actual mapping process.