Thread: Jovian Moon Globes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default Jovian Moon Globes

Hi everyone! I'm thinking about producing globes for the Jovian moons (i.e., Io, Europa, Ganymede, & Callisto) and I wanted to get your input on them. They will all be to scale with one another with the diameters being 5"-Europa, 6"-Io, 8"-Callisto, 9"-Ganymede.

My questions are:
    1) Is this something you might be interested in purchasing?
    2) How much would you pay for the smallest, Europa? The largest, Ganymede? The whole set?
    3) Besides named geographic features, what else would you like to see on these globes?

Thanks!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

This would be so cool! Personally, I don't think I would buy them, but only because I'm more into making things than buying them, and I'm sure you would have a few customers. (Although, having tried globe-making, I can tell you it's very time-consuming, and I wouldn't count on being able to make a profit. In case that's what you're aiming for )

My questions are:
    1) Is this something you might be interested in purchasing?
    2) How much would you pay for the smallest, Europa? The largest, Ganymede? The whole set?
    3) Besides named geographic features, what else would you like to see on these globes?

First of all, that's a super cool idea, and if you considered turning it into an orrery with Jupiter (a lot more work, but possibly worth it) it would be infinitely more awesome.

As for purchasing it myself, I probably wouldn't be a customer, since I tend to buy few things besides essentials.
    As for the cost, it depends entirely on the methods you're using to make it. What do you plan on using as a base? What do you plan on using to color it? (etc)
    As for the features, having a plaque with some basic historical information (discovery, origin of name, things like that) would be nice of you plan on mounting it on a stand. Also, adding texture and exaggerating physical features (not going to get much texture from something reduced so much, otherwise) on the surface would be an interesting prospect.