Thread: I need some Advice or Ideas for my castle

Help I need some Advice or Ideas for my castle

I am mapping a castle from an old AD&D module for a private user.
    As often is the case with those classic maps, they look good until you start looking close at the details. The way rooms and items are drawn are often not to a realistic scale or don't really depict what is there.

In this case, my problem is that rooms 1, 2 & 3 would logically extend under catwalk 4 all the way to the castle wall. The original map does not show that but I want my map to at least try to address the issue.

So my question is, How do I make it look like the rooms on the ground level extend under the catwalk above them?
    My only solution I could think of is to use a partly transparent line to depict the wooden walls. Any other Ideas?

If the lines are the best fit, then do you like the dashed lines or the solid one?

The map is being created in DundJinni, but can be touched up in Photoshop.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Castle-Rooms.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	299.9 KB 
ID:	63923

I prefer dashed, they seem less natural so you don't mistake them for something else. My question would be which is more I portent tactically the rooms or the wall? It would look just as good to me with the catwalk as the dashed line if the rooms are more apt to come I to play. Depending on the castle style the walls might be all fill to so the rooms wouldn't extent to the wall (many had two dressed walls with fill between for outer walls). What are the rooms used for, storage or sleeping?

This is the written description of these rooms:

PRIVATE APARTMENTS: Special quarters are available
    for well-to-do families, rich merchants, guildmasters,
    and the like. The five small apartments along the south
    wall are occupied by families of persons dwelling
    within the Outer Bailey of the KEEP

I like your idea that the walls of the keep are the full 10' thickness then I don't have to worry about what is underneath. It is not likely that the apartments will come into game play.

Thanks

Guild Adept

Why not use some transparency?
    Also, often this kind of maps depicts each floor/level separately, which would radically solve your problem.

Like fearaaro says, I recommend doing two floors. On the upper floor blur the ground floor a bit. You end up with twice the amount of map for half the amount of work (compared to messing about with transparency). Just finish your map completely first, and then separate into the two floors as the final step.

Thanks guys! All great Ideas. Hope I have some time to work on this map soon.