Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Castaway's home on a deserted isle...

Quote Originally Posted by Francissimo View Post
    wonderfull colors and the elements shadow are great! Are you using photoshop to create the 3D elements?
    I have some old 3D software apps that are over 10 years old from my past days when I played with 3D a lot more. So I've never upgraded and some of the software nolonger exists, but still works fine for my needs. I use Nichimen Nendo, an easy to use subdivisional suface modeler to create the 3D elements, including all those fish in the water, which I export to .3DS format, import to Raydream Studio 5, add basic grey color, lighting, shadow variances, sometimes I place a ground level to show shadows, set the rendering parameters and render a JPG image. I trace the 'outline' of the 3D models in a vector program to cut it out, color and place into my maps. Map work done in vector app, Xara Designer Pro 9.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

More done on the 3D sunken and scavenged sloop. I thought I wasn't going to continue to build the frame, but it made sense to be able to get the hull shape, floor shape and the rest of the structure towards housed levels under the poop deck correctly proportioned, including the captain's quarters at the rear of the ship. So continue I did. I got most of the deck constructed, stopping where the wood has been confiscated. So the deck is done. Now I need to build the hull in a similar fashion, but that's more work for tomorrow. Getting close to the end with the modeling!

Since the deck is a separate piece (I combined the rest as a single object), I can always delete this incomplete deck, then do a complete deck, so I could build this into a top down, complete sloop deck plan, and make available as its own map. I could make each deck and provide all necessary positions and chambers - galley, captain's quarters, doctor's office, and a few officer quarters, pantry beneath, etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sloop-more.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	302.9 KB 
ID:	63746
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 05-04-2014 at 04:03 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

OK, for sure going to bed now... I had to do some more. Just so you know, I'm rather proud of myself at this point. I've never gotten a 3D ship to look this good before. Just got the hull to do, and a few fiddly details. Almost done! Yay! (The background blue color is so you can see the detail better.)

GP

Name:	sloop-almost.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	269.2 KB 
ID:	63751
    DrivethruRPG store

Really great looking and with the whole thing modeled you can break it up and use it in all sorts of interesting ways as well as whole, seems like the gift that will keep giving.

I am finally done with both the 3D model ship, and the Castaway Isle map! I am proud of the way the ship turned out, but it took too long to do. Note the part of the ship sticking out of the water. I also posted the final version of the sloop 3D model - boy that was work!

GP

Name:	sloop_model.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	322.1 KB 
ID:	63765Click image for larger version. 

Name:	castaway_final.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	63770
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 05-05-2014 at 02:41 AM.
    DrivethruRPG store

I really like it.
    One arm of the Kraken seems to be transparent. (the one over/under the ship).
    The part of the ship that sticks out of the water looks a little buggy to me.

Superb Gameprinter. Just watch the linear wood texture you've applied to your ship on the map - its not working visually which is why Epsom sees a bug. Maybe just a simple monochrome brown like the mast would be better.

When I created the water, this was just a terrain and water plane rendering in 3D. Had I done the water as I normally would, it would be layers of transparent blue over the sandy bottom, and getting the clarity and lack of over transparency would have been better to look at and less problematic to work with. As always, this was just an experiment.
    DrivethruRPG store

Guild Member Facebook Connected jugabyte's Avatar

I love the rock texture. Did you make that or find that somewhere?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12