Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Castaway's home on a deserted isle...

Default Castaway's home on a deserted isle...

Just for the sake of doing it, as well as adding a map illustration for the second tutorial guide book, I'm working on a map of the edge of an isle where a castaway is trying to get by in survival. Apparently he's been here awhile, he's built a staircase to make it a safer ascent to the rocky cliff sided outcropping by the beach. I plan to make a small fortified hut at the top next that signal bonfire at the top of the outcropping. I included a fish pond, which is a closed pool of sea water where caught fish can be kept for easy retrieval later - I saw these in ancient Hawaiian archaeological sites.

I opted to use some of my undersea objects to populate the waters by the shore.

Progress so far...

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	castaway_isle.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	700.2 KB 
ID:	63723
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 05-03-2014 at 03:34 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Looks great Gamerprinter, the colours are amazing. Is the blurring in the middle-left and middle-foreground supposed to represent altitude in some way? I'm not sure it really works quite yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacktannery View Post
    Looks great Gamerprinter, the colours are amazing. Is the blurring in the middle-left and middle-foreground supposed to represent altitude in some way? I'm not sure it really works quite yet.
    No, but I'll see what I can do to get some better resolution on those textures. Some of that blurring is heavy use of edge feathering so the rock seems to rise from the ground rather than sitting on it.

Next update, added a rather fancy, raised, single room hut, with timbers from his ship wreck. Obviously the castaway is a carpenter of some skill. Moving right along...

GP

Name:	castaway_isle.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	332.1 KB 
ID:	63724
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 05-03-2014 at 07:03 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

The colors and the layout are great.

Yes, the colours are really vibrant. I think it needs some fed-ex packages washed up on the beach though. =P

......Wilson!

Added a 3D stockade with shadow around the hut on the rock, and a partially built raft by the shore. I plan to create a 3D watch tower and shadow, and a mostly sunken merchant sailing ship in the bay, then I'll be done.

GP

Name:	castaway_isle_next.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	63733
    DrivethruRPG store

wonderfull colors and the elements shadow are great! Are you using photoshop to create the 3D elements?

The stockade shadows are excellent.

I've never gone to the trouble of building a sailing ship in quite a bit of detail from scratch, especially one that is supposed to have a good amount of timbers scavenged from it to use by the castaway's construction projects. I've 3D modeled a basic main framework of a sloop (I chose a sloop, since there's a lot a less detail requirements than say any bigger ship...) I plan to make the rest of the ship with the framework hidden (so unnecessary to create) by the remaining ship structure. I do plan to place partial planks of flooring, some side planking, as well as masts, so not all the front of the sloop has been scavenged. Its been about an hour to create this in Nendo, my subdivisional surface modeler. I have at least another hour to complete this model... I think.

Rendered version of the framework sloop, so far...

GP

Name:	partial-sloop-wreck.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	317.2 KB 
ID:	63740
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast