Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The British Isles

Guild Novice

Post The British Isles

Here is a map im working on over on Conquer Club. Looking to see a new range of opinion from you guys over here who seems to have a good bit of talent under your belts!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Maybe make the border lines slightly more prominent.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hi Gimil,

Here are my thoughts:

Ireland
    As a matter of consistency, if you're going to call the Republic of Ireland Munster, you might want to call Northern Ireland Ulster, but my Irish geography is not brilliant and you may well have good reasons not to (given that the other areas you have named in Ireland may overlap with Ulster, Munster or both).

Typo
    Dorest = Dorset.

Mountains
    Your mountain ranges are a bit strange. There are no mountain ranges where you have put them, they exist elsewhere. Take a google at a physical map of Britain to see what I mean. Again you may be ahead of me on this and have departed from reality for a reason.

London looks pretty huge, but that that's probably intentional for the game.

I would call the light blue area 'Wessex' rather than 'Land's End'. (Land's End is the western most point of Cornwall). You might want to call South England 'Mercia' and North England 'Northumbria'. - Depends on the time period but from the names you have chosen they look like a reasonable fit.

Cheers

Ravs

Guild Novice

ravells thanks for the comments!

This was actually a revamp of a current version of the british isles map currently on conquer club. For that reason my hands are tied on alot of issues. Some names you mentioned can (and will) be changed, others not so much. THe mountains are a little creative license for the sake of athsetics.

uslter was the name used on the original map. However with attempts to make the geography more acurate we went with northern ireland and spliting the republic into more regions.

London is also indeed bigger for the sake of fitting both the territory name and the arny numbers needed for the game!

Typo's will be fixed! You will com to learn I am not geatest speller

I think the heavy borders are trying to compensate for a the similarity between sea and land colour. I'd up the contrast with the water and see if you can then clean up the borders.

I don't find the mountains a problem but then I don't live in the UK to be overly concerned with accuracy.

Sigurd

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    I think the heavy borders are trying to compensate for a the similarity between sea and land colour. I'd up the contrast with the water and see if you can then clean up the borders.

I don't find the mountains a problem but then I don't live in the UK to be overly concerned with accuracy.

Sigurd
    THe contrasting borders are part of the images athetics! Remember this is also used for a board game so the highly visable boarders is a must o distiguish different regions!

Cheers for the comment thou1.

What happened to the wall?

And the borders in Ireland are messed up and the most northern island in Scotland doesn't have a name.

--lanyards

ok,

You might consider adding the roman roads and Hadrians Wall also perhaps Offas Dike.

Let us see the final product. It's a nice map.

Sigurd
    Last edited by Sigurd; 08-09-2008 at 02:46 PM.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    ok,

You might consider adding the roman roads and Hadrians Wall also perhaps Offas Dike.

Let us see the final product. It's a nice map.

Sigurd
    Hadrians wall is suppose to be on the map. However im struggling to make a pretty wall for my image that the CC community is happy with

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Artistic licence is great, but you really need to fix those mountains. There are no mountains on the south coast but there is a range of mountains on the English-Scottish border - the peak district to be precise. There are also a lot of mountains in the Highlands (of course).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast